Automation Rule: Problem with emails (issue.key)

Gisela Lassahn September 14, 2022

Hi,

I've got a rule within Automation for Jira which sends emails.

Some of the emails look as expected, but in some of them the value of {{issue.key}} is missing. I don't understand why.

Can you help me?

Many thanks!

Details: see pictures

• The first picture shows the rule.
    Project key and email address are blackened.
  • The second picture shows a correct email.
    The issue key appears (orange).
    Email adresses and the URL of our Jira instance are blackened.
  • The third picture shows a wrong email.
    The issue key ist missing (red marks).
    Email adresses and the URL of our Jira instance are blackened.

Bild1.pngBild2.pngBild3.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2022

Ηι @Gisela Lassahn 

What does the audit log says? For how many issues this email was sent? Which ones are missing?

This could be potentially a reindexing problem.

Gisela Lassahn September 14, 2022

Hi @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ ,

thanks for your hints!

I've executed an Background re-index (because I can't do an Full-Re-Index when everybody is working with Jira), but it didn't change the behaviour of the rule.

Then I took another look at the audit log.
It looks like I'd get a correct email for every not-closed child of any closed epic (like I wanted) but additionally an incorrect email for every epic which does not have any not-closed childs (which I do NOT want).

Is there a known bug which could explain this behaviour?

Or did I anything wrong in detail (e.g. with the options you can activate or not)?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2022

Hi @Gisela Lassahn 

For the Server/Data Center version of automation, I recall there is a "bulk handling" setting possible for branches (and scheduled triggers).

Is that setting enabled or disabled for your branch?  It seems like you would want it disabled based on the way your rule is described.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like # people like this
Gisela Lassahn September 15, 2022

Hi @Bill Sheboy ,

you gave me the right hint.

I admit that I don't quite understand the impact of the bulk handling setting.

In my rule I can activate or inactivate it in two places.
The first place is the trigger and the second is the branch "For Stories...".

I did some trials with three closed Epics which all have two Stories in different variations:

Screenshot 2022-09-15 092720.jpg

At first I activated both bulk options and had one wrong email, two emails like I expected and one expected mail missing.
It was the same when I only activated the second option and inactivated the first.

When I inactivated the second option (no matter what I did with the first) everything was fine.

So I've found the solution for my problem by your hint.

Many thanks and kind regards
Gisela

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2022

@Gisela Lassahn I think that @Bill Sheboy 's answer deserves to be accepted and not mine. Therefore I would suggest @Bill Sheboy to create a new reply and then @Gisela Lassahn you can mark only his answer as accepted.

Like Gisela Lassahn likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2022

No worries, and I am glad you got it to work!

Short explanation on the bulk-handling for Server/Data Center Jira...When that option is enabled, you can treat the results (from the trigger or branch) as a set, and the smart value {{issues}} (note the plural) is available.  This helps in cases such as sending one email or summing up a field for a set of issues.

Like Gisela Lassahn likes this

Suggest an answer