Automation: Email not sent as part of automation

Ryan November 29, 2017

Hi,

I am starting to use Jira Automation, and as part of a project, I want to be able to send emails as part of the automation.

Unfortunately, whenever I try and send an email with automation, the email goes to the mail queue, but then the email then goes to the error queue and I can't see a way to find the error log.

Also, when I put in the email address in the "To" field, the loading symbol (spinning annulus) is always there, no matter how long I leave it.

However, when I send a test email, that goes through just fine.

Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Ryan December 6, 2017

Figured out what was wrong with the help of Nick. In the "more options" for the email automation, there is a "From" field, which was prefilled out with an email that the email server would not accecpt, so I just had to change this to the default JIRA email address and it worked.

1 vote
Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2017

Hi Ryan,

I've just responded to your support request. This looks like there maybe some issue that is best diagnosed with logs and other info that you would most probably prefer not be public.

After we resolve the issue, I will come back post an update here.

Cheers,

Nick

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 30, 2017

Hi Ryan,

If you're using the Automation feature that is included in Jira Service Desk, that option to send email won't actually allow you to enter an explicit email address there (like user@example.com).

Instead this automation rule is only able to send emails to the reporter of the issue and/or requested participants on the issue.   There is an open feature request to change this functionality to allow other explicit email addresses here in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-4309

It's strange that when you try to enter this email address in, the browser session should be validating against this and provide a warning that this is not expected to work.  However, it sounds like in your instance, if you continue to see a spinning icon when doing this that Jira might be stuck trying to validate the value you enter there.

In my instance when I click this window to set the To field, my browser prompts me to select one of these implicit roles instead of an explicit email address.

tofield1.png

I hope this helps,

Regards,
Andy

Ryan November 30, 2017

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply. Apologies, I should have specified, but I am actually using "Automoation for Jira" https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.codebarrel.addons.automation/cloud/overview

And I just realised that it's developed by Code Barrel, so it may have been the wrong place to ask this.

Either way, in case anyone knows, I have also tried with assignees from the drop down to assignee and reporter, but that hasn't worked either. I'll talk to Code Barrell and see if they know.

Thanks again.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 30, 2017

Oh sorry.  I've added the tags for that plugin and the marketplace tag to this post.

Ryan November 30, 2017

Much appreciated.

Suggest an answer