Automating the move of an issue from one project to a sub task of another project

Dave Grimmer May 20, 2022

I have a Service Desk project and a Service Desk Projects Project , we about to go live on a pilot and i want to be able to quickly sub task all the issues that are logged on the Service Desk over to one ticket on the project , is this possible 

Little bit more context 

There is a ticket on the projects board called - Project X Issues List , this has manually created subtasks for each issue we find. 

I would like to from the Service Desk simply have the engineers pop in a certain component and it auto moves into the above issues list ticket as a sub task .

I have got half way there with a clone automated rule but that only goes in as its own ticket and not a sub ticket ? 

Hope that makes sense 

Regards

Dave

1 answer

0 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2022

Hi @Dave Grimmer - You're on the right track with a clone as there is no "Move Issue" action, but you'll need to do something a little more intricate with the automation.

1. You'll need to find the target ticket where you want the new version of the sub-task to live like a branch based upon JQL
  2. Once you're branched in there, you would add a "Create Sub-tasks" action and copy relevant fields from your trigger sub-task to the target sub-task

AHHHH JQL !!! guess i got to learn it at some point :p 

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2022

If you have the business logic for how to identify the target issue, we can help you craft the branch rule.

Thanks @Mark Segall  , how would i get the business logic for the target issue ? (sorry of that's a daft question) 

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2022

Just meaning that the rule needs to know where to look for the issue:

• Is the issue static? Meaning... It will always create the sub-task on the same issue?  In that case you would just use this for your branch JQL:
    • key = <target issue key>
  • Is there a link between the parent issues that we can key off of?
  • Do the two parent issues share a common component, label, or field?

The rule just needs to know how to find where those sub-tasks need to be created.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events