Automating export of JIRA issues to SharePoint

harleythorne September 1, 2017

Hi all!

We have a business requirement as part of our ISO 27001 certification to keep logs of all service desk incidents (and also change management tickets, which are in a standard JIRA project).

Essentially what I need is the ability to automate an export of all issues that match a filter, to a SharePoint document library.

I've seen various plugins that can do exports but not all are available for JIRA Cloud, so I thought i'd ask on here for some advice. Perhaps there is a way to do this with the JIRA API? I'd rather not have to manually run the report (or pick it up and upload it) myself.

Any advise or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Harley

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2017

Seems pointless, as JIRA keeps all the logs already, and no-one reads sharepoint stuff, and most exports of JIRA data tend not to include everything.

But, no, you're slightly stuck on Cloud.  The best option is a third service - a simple script can read JIRA over REST for all the issue data (including history), and I imagine it can poke it into Sharepoint.

I'd probably think about something that runs maybe nightly and does  something like

curl -D- \
  -u fred:fred \
  -X GET \
  -H "Content-Type: application/json" \
  http://kelpie9:8081/rest/api/2/search?jql=updated>-1d

(which was wholeheartedly stolen from https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-apis/jira-rest-apis/jira-rest-api-tutorials/jira-rest-api-example-query-issues )

harleythorne September 1, 2017

Hey Nic,

Thanks very much for the reply. In terms of our requirement, I totally know what you're saying. The problem is, for ISO, we need to have these logs in a secure location that CAN NOT be edited by anyone, and can only be viewed by a very select group of people. If they remain in JIRA there are several power users that would have the access and we cannot prove changes have not been made.

Unless you're speaking of different logs, rather than just the fact that the issues are obviously sat there? Someone could delete a ticket, for example.

The rest API looks a good call. I'll take a look into this further. Thanks for the suggestion!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2017

Yes the "Logs" I mean are the issue histories, which are not editable without database access or broken scripts.  I usually disallow delete which would destroy them.  You would have to trust your administrators to not allow those things to be done.  But, having said that, it's the same with Sharepoint - your admins can still edit or destroy the records or allow them to be altered or removed.

The view thing is the one that makes an export make sense.  Although the data is still in JIRA after export, so it's still an odd requirement, as someone can still look in there.

The REST call should get all that you need though.  And I completely forgot (hence the reply) I think you may need to say &expand=changelog on the end of the query to get the history records out!

Suggest an answer