Automating Issue Status Changes in Jira

Matthew Bauman October 23, 2015

I know JIRA has a concept of "dependencies" between issues.  We have some users who would like to automate the opening of issues based on these dependencies.

For example, let's say you have 100 issues in your JIRA project.  All issues would start in a (custom) 'Wait' or 'Not Ready' state.

After the first 10 issues are complete (marked 'Resolved' or 'Closed'), the next 10 issues would flip from some sort of (custom) 'Wait' state to a 'Ready' state.  After these 10 are complete, another group would flip to a 'Ready' state.

I understand this would probably involve some sort of custom issue states, but is there anything that allows for automating the changing of JIRA issue 'Status' fields as I am describing? We are currently using an older version of JIRA (5.2.5) but are in the process of upgrading if that matters at all.

3 answers

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2015

Yes there are plenty of ways to accomplish this just like what Nicolas gave you. Have a look at JIRA Misc Workflow and JIRA Suite Utilities too.

1 vote
Deleted user October 23, 2015

I don't know of any native way of doing this. One way to do it is to create a postfunction on your transition to Closed or Resolved that fires a script. That script would count the number of closed issues matching your criteria and change the status of issues matching another set of criteria.

To achieve this, you will need the custom status you were talking about and a plug-in like Script Runner (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner) would be helpful. 

0 votes
Matthew Bauman October 26, 2015

Thank you, I will look into both of those and see if they do what we are looking to accomplish.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2015

Sure. Let us know how it pans out for yah :)

Suggest an answer