Automatically populate Issue field for "Tested By" via "Test Passed" transition

Peter Drier March 27, 2014

Modifying the workflow, basically adding in a QA stage between Resolved and Closed.. QA state has 2 transition options, "Test Passed" and "Test Failed. Asking for build version tested and such. That's all fine.

My Question: How during that "Test Passed" transition, do I store the user's name into the "Tested By" custom fileld? (yes, technically this is all in history, but we want to have a box in the corner that is basically Reporter, Developer, Tested By, Closed By, automatically set by whoever transitioned in/out of the the respective stages.)

The custom Tested By field is there, and I originally guessed the post function of: Update Issue Field, would do it, but that has a fixed list of fields and won't let me set the Tested By field...

I could in theory do it with a Copy Value From Field to Field function, but I'd have to force it to be assigned to the current user first and that's unnesessarily annoying.

Ideas?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Drier April 23, 2014

The JIRA Suite Utilities plugin (which is availabe on OnDemand but isn't enabled by default) can do what I wanted natively. It adds a number of workflow transition features. Very useful, not sure why it's not on by default.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2014

If I understand you, the developer is saying it passed testing? We would see that as a conflict of interest and not allow it. Only people in the tester role can execute passed testing transitions.

Peter Drier April 6, 2014

No, developer is stating the issue is fixed. That puts it into a "test needed" state, assigned to the "QA Team" user. That team has 5 people working in India overnight. Any of them can then "Test passed" (or Failed) transition out of "Test Needed" into Resolved or Open respecively. (The test passed/failed transitions would be limited to members of the QA Team & Project admin)

The Assign to Me bit can work, but it kills any hope of us using the Agile boards for management. All because there's no "Update Issue Field to Current User" workflowTransitionPostFunction.

If I was only worried about a single issue, this extra step wouldn't matter. But the case where a manager is going through and cleaning up a bucket of 200 old issues, that extra annoyance matters.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2014

So you let someone besides the tester execute the passed testing transition? If so, how do they know it passed? We always restrict transitions to the current assignee. It goes along with personal responsibility for the issue. You shouldn't be messing with an issue, except a comment, if it isn't assigned to you. It also cuts down on 'oops' errors. If you do this then you can easily capture their id during the transition.

Not exactly.. The tester could be anyone on the QA team, but the developer fixing the bug shouldn't necessarily know (or need to specify) who that is. So on development complete, I'd assign it to a QA Team "user" which the whole QA team monitors like an inbox. I suppose I could force an Assign to me, before the Test Passed transition. but that will surely come off as unnecessarily annoying to many.

0 votes

I've been told by Atlassian support that this isn't currently possible. I've asked for it to be added, as it's both simple to add, and useful. Not going to hold my breath though.. Too bad too, it would make a lot of the workflow changes I need to make much easier (reopened = set assigned to to the user in the "Developer" field...)

Suggest an answer