Automatically plan sprints?

Jiechao Wang September 20, 2013

Hi,

I really appreciated and excited by this product. Just got one question when I am using JIRA Agile Scrum:

Let's say that we have defined a release and all the stories that should be done before this release. These stories are already ordered. Based on the velocities of previous sprints, can JIRA automatically generate sprints for these stories and show us the number of sprints we need to complete before this release and which stories are contained in each sprint?

This would be very helpful! Would be appreciated in any idea on this.

Thanks,

Jiechao

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2013

No automated manner, but assuming all the tasks have been estimated you can just use multiple markers on the planning board, and assign each one the max velocity you feel your team can meet based on history.

As one sprint is completed the next marker will be waiting and ready to start.

BUt this is not really Agile/Scrum, which is all about adapting along the way. A simple Kanban board would probably work better for your team. (these are all the issues based on priority that must be done.)

https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=268046489

Dustin Johnson June 22, 2017

Haha but what if your management won't let you use Kanban and makes you use sprints -_-'

Jose A. Herrero November 7, 2017

You can fake Kanban way of working by creating one sprint from now to the delivery date (I think you need to have parallel sprints feature activated).

If your manager wants to have smaller sprints you can add all your stories to the board and move the ones that were not delivered by the end of the sprint to the next one. When you close a sprint JIRA asks you what do you want to do with the uncompleted stories.

I hope this is helpful. 

Suggest an answer