Automatically notify Assignee/Reporter about an issue via an email

Angelos October 28, 2014

I am using the Automation plugin as a way to try and keep our issues up to date and on track.

One use case is chasing overdue issues.

On any matching issues I have it configured so that:

1. A label (overdue-issues) is added
  2. A custom event (called Overdue-Event) is triggered
  3. A comment is added

There are two issues with step 2 and 3:

2. With the custom event the email template that is triggered is very basic and isn't inferring to the issue being overdue. There is no easy way to create a new email template without having to mess with the filesystem.

3. In the comment you can put $reporter, but this outputs "name.surname [ID-XXXX]" in the comment and it's not working as a @mention to trigger a notification. Also it would have been good to be able to mention the assignee as well.

Things I considered but would like to avoid:

• Paid plugin called Notification Assistant  
  • Sending a comment notification which would notify all the watchers.
  • Writing my own application to use the API to execute these type of tasks
  • Learning JAVA/Groovy and the JIRA API in order to write my own plugin/script

Does anyone have any suggestions/workarounds for a self hosted JIRA instance?

2 answers

0 votes
Angelos October 29, 2014

3. In the comment you can put $reporter, but this outputs "name.surname [ID-XXXX]" in the comment and it's not working as a @mention to trigger a notification

Looks as if I came a bit closer to what I am looking for but there is something else that is now missing from the Automation plugin

So I have created a comment issue action that would fire when it finds overdue issues and I am getting the usernames and output them as a mention.

The issue now is that the below doesn't trigger a mention notification

COMMENT ISSUE ACTION

[~$issue.getAssigneeId()], 
This $issue.getIssueTypeObject().getName() $issue.getKey() is now overdue! 
Please liaise with [~$issue.getReporterId()] and agree to a different date or expedite the issue.

Comment VisibilityViewable by All Users

0 votes
Angelos October 29, 2014

Looking further into the standard email notification templates I can see that if the Automator plugin was triggering a changelog, the email should actually give more information regarding what's changed. However I can only assume that the emails don't contain any of the changelogs because they are executed in different threads. ================ atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/templates/email/html/issueupdated.vm ... #if ($changelog) #rowWrapperNormal("#parse('templates/email/html/includes/fields/changelog.vm')" '' 'wrapper-special-margin') #end ... ================

Suggest an answer