Automatically disable inactive users to save licenses

Rik Helsen July 26, 2017

Are there any alternatives to using the 555$/month scriptrunner addon to automatically disable users that have been inactive for longer as 180 days? 

Since we'd only be using it for this purpose, the price is just to high for us.

- separately for JIRA and Confluence licenses if possible.

Kind regards
Rik

2 answers

2 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2017

I have written a script to do it. Basically do a SQL select which fetches the users who haven't logged in last 3 months , then make these user inactive and remove them from the default access groups like confluence-users, jira-users.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-Core-questions/Database-query-to-get-all-users-who-haven-t-logged-within-a-year/qaq-p/370478

Like Sekhar Chandra likes this
Rik Helsen July 26, 2017

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Is it possible to execute / schedule this on the cloud version of Jira somehow?

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2017

Cloud REST API doesn't support it right now - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-33225 

Thus, my opinion will be to create a support request, they will give you a list in CSV file, then you can write a python create to deactivate the users or manually do it, depending on the number of users that need to be deactivated.

Rik Helsen July 26, 2017

so they increase my invoice with 200% in one month, but give me hardly any means to control it... lovely. 

I have a 500+ user environment that i need to maintain.

Thanks for your input though. it's been quite helpful

Rik Helsen July 26, 2017

all people with similar requirements, could vote for this feature request from 2015, to add an API call to deactivate users: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-44801 

Like Priten Vora likes this
Joel Hereth September 1, 2023

@Rik Helsen This is an older post, but I'll share my $0.02 anyhow. 

If you want to solve this problem for Atlassian and similar SaaS applications, you could try an automated license management software such as License Logic. They'll integrate with your Atlassian API and automatically remove unused licenses that go inactive for > 180 days. They offer a free integration to see how it works, so technically you could just use the free version to solve this problem you mentioned above. 

0 votes
James June 8, 2023

Hi @Rik Helsen

You can install this app from the marketplace:

Auto Users Management 

It will deactivate all inactive users you have periodically by the time you choose.

It's totally secure, and uses Atlassian's Api's only

Suggest an answer