Automatically change the issue status from "completed" to "in progress" after new sub-task added.

xinl February 18, 2014

If a issue has been in the status of "completed", then add a new "sub-task" to it. The issue's status should automatically be changed to "inprogress". But now, it still in status of "completed".how to config this?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2014

You can do as suggested by Nic, or you can write a script in the post function of create transition which validates that the current issue is a sub-task of project X and if it's parent is in state "complteted" then to transition the parent to "in-progress"

xinl February 23, 2014

Thank you for reply . I have added a post function on create transition . The name of this function is "Transition parent issue" , but it doesn't work ,any suggestion??

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2014

How have you configured it? You must need to do some, as you need to tell it what transition to run, and youhaven't told us how you've configured it.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 23, 2014

Hi Xin,

In the "Transition parent issue" postfunction provide the transition ID of workflow of parent which is from the status of "completed" to "In progress"

xinl February 24, 2014

That is my mistake , I forget to click "Publish Draft".Thank you for your support. And I can compare the status by using "parentIssue.get("status").getName() == "Completed"" , Is there a document I can see the property of the object? just like "issue" or "parentIssue" or "status",because when I want get some property from parentIssue, I don't know what the object parentIssue like , So I need this

xinl February 24, 2014

another question :

What I need is when create a sub-task for US which is Completed , I need the parent issue changed to "in progress".

now the parent issue can change to the "in progress" , but the parent of the parent issue can't be changed , the change is not Inheritance。

My configuraiton is :

I have two workflow , one for sub-task A , one for story B.

I add the "Transition parent issue" postfunction to A ,the transition is "Create"

I add the "Transition parent issue" postfunction to A ,the transition is "In Process"

the Conditional execution are all "parentIssue.get("status").getName() == "Completed"

xinl February 24, 2014

Fix it , the relationship between issue and parent issue is not "parent" , is linkd , so we need to add a "Transition linked issues" post function and the "Conditional execution" is linkedIssue.get("status").getName() == "Completed"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 24, 2014

There is no "parent of a parent", Jira only has three layers - project, parent and child.

I'm guessing you're using the structure plugin or something like it - you'll need to write more code to go find this additional parent - the plain Jira API simply won't recognise it.

0 votes
xinl February 24, 2014

Fix it , the relationship between issue and parent issue is not "parent" , is linkd , so we need to add a "Transition linked issues" post function and the "Conditional execution" is linkedIssue.get("status").getName() == "Completed"

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2014

You probably need to find/write a "listener" that can pick up "issue created", read the new issue, check the parent issue matches the criteria and then tell the issue to go through the transition from completed to in-progress.

Suggest an answer