Automatically Add Someone to Custom Field

Patrick Dufresne October 25, 2017

I have a custom field called "Additional Watchers" for a project with Issue Level Security. 

Ideally I'd have it so if I add a comment and @mention someone, it will automatically add them to the Additional Watchers Custom field and also they would get the email from JIRA where I @mentioned them. 

Currently if someone isn't in this "additional watcher" field, they will not get an email period. The only way they would get an email is if I add them to that field and then mention them in a comment.

How would I set it up so when I mention someone the following happens (in order).

1) adds user to custom field

2) sends email out (now that the user will receive emails).

Thanks!

Patrick

1 answer

0 votes
Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2017

Hi Patrick, 
When you mention someone in the comments using @mentions, a notification email is sent out to them automatically.

And each issue has the Watchers field, so why do you need to have the "Additional Watchers" field? 
If the purpose is to have the person mentioned in the comment be notified about any updates/changes in the future, then adding them in the default watchers field would work as well? 

Security levels would remain intact, as you would only be able to @mention someone who has the security clearance. 

I don't understand the need to add someone in additional watchers field and then go through the trouble of setting up email notifications for them separately? 

Patrick Dufresne October 30, 2017

I have issue level security for a project where the end goal is that only group members, or watchers that group members have added have visibility to a task.

Based on issue level security rules, it doesn't seem as though I can make a rule where we can make security clearance contingent on the value of "watchers", but we can grant security clearance based on the value of a custom field (why I created "Additional Watchers".

If there is a way to grant access based on "watchers" versus a custom field, that would be awesome! No way I know of to do that though.

Thanks

Patrick

Suggest an answer