Automatically Add An Email To An Existing Jira Key

Gareth September 20, 2018

If a customer emails us, a new job is created in Jira with its own key (eg JOB-1234). We might then respond to that customer through Jira and the response is recorded. If that customer then replied correctly, the reply is added to the existing job. If they send us a brand new email, but reference the original job number, is there some way Jira can tell it's meant to be for that job and add it in?

For example, if the customer sent a brand new email instead of replying, but included JOB-1234 somewhere in the subject line, can we set a rule that says something like 'if subject line contains an existing job number, automatically add the new email to that job'?

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 21, 2018

Hi Gareth,

What you've described is how Jira works if you select "Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue" as the mail handler. From our documentation:

This message handler creates a new issue, or adds a comment to an existing issue. If the subject contains an issue key, the message is added as a comment to that issue. If no issue key is found, a new issue is created in the default project.

If you're seeing some other behavior right now, it's worth checking out your mail handler and making sure you have "Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue" selected, instead of perhaps "Create a new issue from each email message".

Cheers,
Daniel

Gareth September 23, 2018

Thanks for the reply Daniel,

I tried that and sent myself a test email where the subject line included a key of an existing issue (eg ABC123) but it just created a new issue rather than adding it to the existing one so either it's not working or I'm doing something wrong.

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 24, 2018

Interesting. Based on your license it looks like you have Jira Cloud. Would it be ok if we connected to check out your configuration?

Gareth September 24, 2018

Hi Daniel,

I think I've now got it working. If I get stuck I'll come back for more help. Thanks.

Suggest an answer