Automatic workflow transition from "Waiting to customer" to "In progress"

ashleyg July 3, 2014

We have workflow where steps are like:-

open->Inprogress->Waiting for customer->......

waiting for customer->In progress

So here whenever we set status to waiting for customer i want that only the reporter(not the watcher) whenever comments back on the issue either via mail(as we have mail handler configured) or simply through issue commenting then automatically the status should change from "waiting for customer" to "In progress" so that the assignee doesn't have to manually do that.

One alternative could be use of listener but i really don't know how that should go.

Please provide your suggestions on this and if you need any more info please let me know.

2 answers

1 vote
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2014

First you will need to ensure the JIRA Toolkit Plugin has been enabled on your instance.
This plugin comes bundled with OnDemand, but can be disabled. Enable this through the Manage Add-ons option on your instance.

From there, the Auto Transition Listener should be providing the functionality you are looking for.
The documentation linked provides all instructions required to set up the conditions to which the listener functions in order for it to perform the transition of issues from 1 status to the other. I hope this helps.

Svante Gustafsson Björkegren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2014

Ahh, didn't know the JIRA Toolkit Plugin was bundled with AOD!

That is a great solution!

ashleyg July 3, 2014

Hi Mick,

Many thanks for your suggestions but it would be better if i explain you my trouble in a better way.

I configured the listener correctly but i couldn't achieve exactly what i wanted.

Let me explain:-

Lets asy i am admin of my project and i have xyz under contributor who just has the permission to create issue,comment issue and send attachment.

I made xyz to create issue and he created test1 issue as reporter.

Now i assigned that to me and status hence changed to In progress. From In progress we have one transition called waiting for customer which i executed adding some comments.

Now that reporter xyz can see the issue but when he comments on that i just see the issue updated with comment but no automatic transition having taken place from current "waiting for customer" to "in progress"

I set the listener as follows:-

Project key:- correct

status id:- that for "waiting for customer"

Action id:- the transition id which takes state from "waiting for customer" to "In progress"

Event Id:- 2 for issue updated as i couldn't see any event id for issue commented

Only do when the current user is the reporter? true

Please let me know your suggestions on this as i would be more than happy to get it resoklved at the earliest.

Thanks,

Ashley

MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2014

Hi Ashley,

The issue commented Event ID is "6" in my test environment. In case this event is not available to you, I would suggest you create a support request and refer to this post for further review

ashleyg July 3, 2014

Hi Mick,

How to find my jirta event id through my jira instance?

In this case for issue commented (event) where will i find the relevant id in my jira?

Also one thing as per your comments what i understand is that whenevr the reporter just comments on the issue by ading comment to issue or through mail, then it should automatically trigger change of transition from "waiting for customer" to "in progress" when i open that issue as assignee and so i'll not need to bother to change that state manually...is that feasible ??

I really don't get this automation working.

Please help me on this...

MJ
Atlassian Team
July 3, 2014

After adding the class to the listeners you can configure the AutoTransitionListener by pressing the "edit". There you will see several lists under each configuration option with values next to them. In my setup, Issue commented has value 6

If configured correctly, only comment events, be it through mail or UI, triggered by the reporter should cause the listener to pick it up, and take action accordingly.

For your case I would advice you to raise a support request, since that enables us to see your actual data and provide you with much better support.

ashleyg July 3, 2014

Hi Mick,

how should i raise support case?

ashleyg July 6, 2014

Hi Mick,

I guess by now you have almost clear understanding of what i'm trying to do and what i would like to achieve out of that. So please give me detailed stepwise procedure so that i can emulate that to achieve my automated workflow transition.

Thanks,

Ashley

ashleyg July 7, 2014

Hi Mick,

Any updates?

ashleyg July 8, 2014

Hi Mick,

Any updates?

Thanks,

Ashley

0 votes
Svante Gustafsson Björkegren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2014

Hi Ashley,

Since you are on OnDemand the listener approach is not available (See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Restricted+Functions+in+Atlassian+OnDemand#RestrictedFunctionsinAtlassianOnDemand-JIRAfor details)

I am not that familiar with Webhooks in AOD but that may be a way forward. (see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Managing+Webhooksfor details)

Maybe you can have the webhook call the REST API and transition the issue for you.

Just a thought!

Cheers,

// Svante

Suggest an answer