Automatic update of a new field based on values in another field

Saket Dave February 8, 2015

Hi, we are trying to implement a requirement where if a field gets updated with the value automatically based on existing data in two other fields. For example, lets say there are 3 fields Field A, B, and C. We would like to see the following behaviour if there is a particular value in Field A and Field B. Field C needs to get updated (based on some custom logic that we will define which may involve calculations)

If:

Field A: Plan JIRA

Field B: 5000

Then:

Field C: 2000

Any idea how we can do this in JIRA Cloud?

2 answers

0 votes
João Palharini
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 17, 2015

Hi Saket!

I'd suggest using the Script Runner add-on, which has a functionality named Scripted Fields. With these, you can create two fields that would take its value based on what's set on another field.

There is extensive documentation on the add-on, the specifics for Scripted Fields can be found here. There are also some good examples of code that you may find useful when writing your own script.

By the way, Script Runner uses Groovy as its programming language, so it's pretty straight-forward.

I'll tag your question with the label monitored by the add-on developer and also lots of other users from the community, so you may find lots of additional help on doing this. wink

Cheers!

Joao 

João Palharini
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 17, 2015

It is not available for Cloud, unfortunately. :(

Like Lenin Raj likes this
0 votes
John Chin
Atlassian Team
February 8, 2015

As far as I know, JIRA Cloud does not allow customization. But, you can do this if you host a JIRA standalone instance. You can refer the documentation - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/How+to+display+a+Field+based+on+another+Field%27s+selection for more informaiton. Or check the other post - https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/39876/jira-set-a-field-based-on-another-field

Suggest an answer