Automatic management of start/end dates for Jira Work Items?

phil April 28, 2013

I've been trying out plugins to manage start/end dates of Jira Work Item tasks, in order to track timely delivery of releases as well as manage dependencies. I guess what I'm looking for is something that works on similar lines to 'leveling' in Microsoft Project. I have tried several 'Gantt' plugins, and plugins for import/export between Jira and MS Project, to no avail. Ultimately it appears I need to manually change start/end dates individually across thousands of tasks per release.

I am interested in the plugin 'Structure' and will review that next. However it doesn't appear to actually manage issues, merely display a heirarchy. I am interested if anyone can offer other solutions to this.

4 answers

0 votes
Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2019

Hi Phil,

I've noted your interest in Structure. Would you like a demo of Structure and Structure.Gantt? If so, please, contact us at support@almworks.com to arrange a screen-sharing session.

Regards,
Egor Tasa

ALM Works

0 votes
Morne Husselman January 17, 2019

I agree. My organisation has tried for more than a year to solve this problem. All I want to see is a Gantt chart in Jira. 

Big Picture - Buggy

Connector - Buggy

I also don't understand why this is such an issue;

We currently plan in MS Project, then create our deliverables in Jira. When anything changes in our project plan, such as a delay of a deliverable, which then updates ALL the dates in the timing plan, we have to adjust them all manually in Jira. That is just completely senseless.

Any other suggestions on managing projects in Jira?!?!?!

Sergey Gussak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2019

Have you tried Ceptah Bridge? It is a stable product that integrates JIRA with MS Project. These systems are quite different, so it requires careful configuration to achieve the desired results, but it works as expected and has proper support.

0 votes
phil July 22, 2013

I've tried to accomplish this using 'The Connector' a plugin that allows import/export and updaing between Jira and MS Project. Alas, the plugin itself has bugs that render it frustrating to use in order to accomplish the use case I described above. I'm genuinely surprised this isn't a problem that has been solved in Jira.

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2013

Phil,

You could use the bulk change action to change all the start and end dates in one go.

Best regards

Peter

phil May 6, 2013

Peter, Thanks for your reply.

Perhaps I should add some clarity here - I don't wish to bulk change all the start/end dates to the same date.

My goal is to be able to 'level' the tasks in Jira to set their start-finish dates correctly whilst considering linked dependencies. I.e. move task start dates with 'blocks' links to finish before the tasks they're blocking, and for non-blocking tasks to set the execution order based on task utilization (start-to-finish).

Suggest an answer