Automated reboots

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2012

Hi Guys

We are running standalone version of Jira on windows servers. I want to set-up an automated reboot of jira instance every night. Can anyone please suggest me how that can be achieved?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2012

Ugh, why? A properly configured system should just run and keep running. For years if there's no failure... oh... hang on, you're running Windows... Sorry.

Anyway, your best bet is to install Jira as a service and make sure it behaves the stop-start commands issued by the service manager. Set it to automatic start, and it will restart as the machine comes back up after reboot. The only issue I've run into with this is that you have to be certain that the database is available before the Jira service starts, or it will error and then sit there until you make it available and restart it.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2012

Thanks Nic for your comments. Yes, we do use the stop start commands to restart Jira. I am still trying to figure out if there is a way I can schedule to invoke those commands at night.

Reg databases, it is on another server so it will always be available.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 25, 2012

While I agree with Nic, if you need to restart regularly, use windows task scheduler (use 'sc' command inside the task scheduler to restart the service if JIRA is installed as service)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 25, 2012

Also, if you're rebooting something every night, then you've got a severely broken system and really should be fixing that instead of rebooting.

Suggest an answer