Automated labels based on component * priority?

Kaur Klaamann May 28, 2014

I have a necessity to calculate and implement additional 4-level "impact" field (or label) when creating or editing an issue, based on component and existing priority field. What would be the easiest way for achieving this?

Examples:

component = Jira AND priority = blocker, impact = 1

component = Jira AND priority = critical, impact = 1

component = Jira AND priority = Trivial, impact = 3

component = Intranet AND priority = critical, impact = 2

etc.

2 answers

0 votes

Thanks for a quick answer!

When selecting multiple components, the "impact" would always remain highest, taking into consideration the component with the highest impact value. That is what we actually need.

But we are also thinking of assigning a color to the impact value, in that case custom field would be easier to configure.

I have Script Listener installed, however i'm not quite good in scripting - should i start a custom script? I suppose i can't use any of the default conditions:

Send a custom email
Send an email based on the provided template if conditions are met

Clones an issue and links.
Clones this issue to another issue, optioninally in another project, and optionally a different issue type.

Create a sub-task.
Create a sub-task. Will optionally reopen a matching sub-task.

Custom listener
Write your own groovy class as a custom listener.

Fast-track transition an issue
If the condition is met, automatically transition this issue to another status

Fires an event when condition is true
Fires an event that can be picked up by a notification scheme, in order to send mail only under certain conditions, eg Priority is Blocker

Adds the current user as a watcher

Which conditions should i define?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2014

I'd use the script runner plugin to write a listener to catch changes to the issues and generate the right labels.

However...

1. I would NOT use labels here, stick to a single-select custom field for the "impact" field.

2. You've got an incipient problem with the design - What happens when I raise an issue with components "Jira" AND "Intranet"? You might want to consider using a single select instead of components, or just work through the logic with multiple selections in mind.

Thanks for a quick answer!

When selecting multiple components, the "impact" would always remain highest, taking into consideration the component with the highest impact value. That is what we actually need.

But we are also thinking of assigning a color to the impact value, in that case custom field would be easier to configure.

I have Script Listener installed, however i'm not quite good in scripting - should i start a custom script? I suppose i can't use any of the default conditions:

Send a custom email
Send an email based on the provided template if conditions are met

Clones an issue and links.
Clones this issue to another issue, optioninally in another project, and optionally a different issue type.

Create a sub-task.
Create a sub-task. Will optionally reopen a matching sub-task.

Custom listener
Write your own groovy class as a custom listener.

Fast-track transition an issue
If the condition is met, automatically transition this issue to another status

Fires an event when condition is true
Fires an event that can be picked up by a notification scheme, in order to send mail only under certain conditions, eg Priority is Blocker

Adds the current user as a watcher

Which conditions should i define?

Kaur Klaamann June 15, 2014

We managed to solve it using a custom field/groovy script

Suggest an answer