Automated Jira import from database

SG April 18, 2013

Exists a supported Jira import from a database that runs automatically and also imports custom fields?

What we have to do is the synchronisation of a ticket system with Jira. The ticket system is used by our customers (external communicatin) whereas Jira is used by our developers (internal communication). The external tickets have to be imported into Jira after creating and after closing they have to be exported. The ticket system provides the possibility to export and import the issue data in/from a database (possible would also be to export/import in/from a csv file).

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2013

JIRA Command Line Interface can help with part of this. Specifically, runFromSql or runFromCsv. You can use from your favorite job scheduler or better, use Bamboo with CLI Plugin for Bamboo.

0 votes
Praveen October 6, 2017

were you able to automate it 

0 votes
SG April 23, 2013

How can I create my own service?

I created a class that extends Abstract Service and implements the methods run and getObjectConfiguration. Then I added the *.jar file to WEB-INF/classes and/or WEB-INF/lib.

I tried to add a service, but the entry in 'class' is not found. What have I to enter in this field?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2013

Yes. There's an "importers" plugin which allows you to import from various other systems via several routes. Jira can also import from CSV.

However, these are not suitable for what you're talking about. They are aimed at one-off imports, not regular updates (i.e. migrating off those systems and on to Jira is by far the main use-case for them), they're one way, and there's no functions to do them regularly (a human has to run them each time). There's also nothing for pushing the other way.

My instincts would be to say that you're going to need to code something and in two different ways.

1. For the updates into Jira, I'd try to get your other system to push the data in via REST. If that's not possible, then I'd be looking at your import-from-database solution next, using either Jelly scripts, a scripted service or even a whole plugin that does the work

2. For the push out, I'd be looking at writing a listener or post-function that picks up the specific changes to Jira issues that say "this needs to go to other system" and pushing them out.

Suggest an answer