Automate issue text formatting in Jira

Leila Filippini October 2, 2014

Hi all,
I'm relatively new to Jira. Is there any possibility to auto format my issue text in Jira? I use a lot of Java snippets in my issues and want to highlight them (if possible without explicitly writing wiki syntax every time).

Thanks for any advice.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mibex_Software
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2014

Hi,

There is indeed a JIRA plug-in that is able to detect the various parts of a JIRA issue (like source code, stack traces, project names, components, versions, JIRA users, URLs, ...) and to wikify these automatically. It is like AutoFormat of your word processor, but for JIRA issues.

This has the advantage that you don't need to know JIRA's wiki syntax and you hardly need no time to format your issues to make them look good. It is called Wikify for JIRA:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/ch.mibex.jira.wikify

Disclaimer: I'm the author of the plug-in.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Michael

Leila Filippini October 12, 2014

Hi, We've installed your plug-in and I'm positive surprised. It formats the java code automatically which saves me and my colleagues a lot of time. Really nice!

0 votes
Andrey Markelov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2014
Leila Filippini October 2, 2014

Hi Andrey, Thank you., but I have still to add the syntax by myself? There is nothing automated? Sometimes I have a lot of code snippets or methods which I mention in my descriptions and therefore it would be useful and time saving to have something automated.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2014

Of course you need to add the syntax and highlighting yourself. How is Jira supposed to know when you're writing code or human text? You need to differentiate them somehow.

Suggest an answer