Automate Plugins installation on JIRA

Sunil Pothireddy [Intel] October 16, 2013

We have over 40 plugins in JIRA and it was becoming pain to install them frequently on test enviornments, so I tried to copy all the 40 jars from production environment to test environment under $JIRA DATA DIR/application-data/jira/plugins/installed-plugins
and restarted my JIRA.

I am able to see that 38 plugins seems to be deployed and are visible under Manage Addons screen.

I have to test them yet, I shall update my finding as soon as complete by testing

Meanwhile just wanted to know if anyone had done this before and did they see any repurcussions by following this way ??

3 answers

2 votes
RicardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2013

Hi Sunil

Yes, you can copy all the files and paste then in the new installed-plugins folder. You just have to check if they are compatible with your new test instance version. The ones that wasn't installed, probably are old versions plugins that you have to install manually.

Hope it helps,

Ricardo Carracedo.

1 vote
Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2013

That used to be the "standard" way to install plugins a while ago, before marketplace and the fancy UPM, so I believe it's still supported. If you're just copying jars from one place to another, then it should work. The only difference is that you will not be able to install .OBR (bundled with dependencies) plugins this way, only .JARs.

Kannan S January 22, 2014

Is there any way to install .OBR files automatically? Also why is that i find a jar file of the same name if i install an .obr file? what does the jira does upond understanding that the uploaded file is an .obr file.?

Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2014

AFAIK, the only way to install OBR files is using the "Upload plugin" feature of the UPM.

OBR files are just archives containing you plugin jar file and its dependencies. When you install an OBR file, it will automaticall install the dependencies. For example if you have Plugin A and Plugin B and B uses some services from A, you can add A as a dependency of B so that B.obr will contain both B.jar and A.jar and will install both of them automatically.

Tom Paine April 28, 2014

Is copying the .jar files still best practice in 6.3? Is there way to automate the configuration as well?

0 votes
Sunil Pothireddy [Intel] October 23, 2013

Thank you Ricardo and Florin for your inputs !!!!!

Najmul Khan April 6, 2014

Hi All,

Is this plugin will support to Jira v6.0.1, Please confirm

Suggest an answer