Auto refresh of issues when the status is changed by Listeners

Srividhya July 8, 2012

I need to refresh the issue automatically ,when status of the issue has been changed automatically by the listeners.Currently , we need to refresh the issue to get the new status in the issue.

2 answers

4 votes
Muhammad Ramzan(Atlassian Certified Master)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2020

Is there any update on this thread z

Plz.i am integrating jira with jenkin and updating status for many calls. User have to refresh the page to see the updates,  it looks weird from user experience 

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2012

Er, how do you expect a client browser to know when information has been updated on a server?

Think about this carefully - Jira has a load of information that it shows to a user who asks "show me this page". If you want an "automatic" update, then somehow, you need the *Server* to tell all the *clients* that something is out of date and that there is new information. That is NOT how browsers work.

In fact, to make this work, you actually need to re-write the browser.

The best you can do is embed a "refresh after a while" instruction in the web page being served. This is generally bad practice though, as you impose a mostly pointless load on client and server just to check IF something has changed.

Srividhya July 8, 2012

Actually , what we thought was like , we have a field , and in its description add a javascript function which reloads the page , but then we thought this would happen unnecesarily , even there is no change in the status. Anyways , thank you very much for your reply.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2012

Yes, javascript is a very good way to do it, you're spot on there. It is a sticky problem because of the basic question - how does the client know that data on the server has changed? Exactly as you say, the only way to do it is "unnecessarily" poll the server regularly. That feels wrong to me, but I can't think of a work-around.

Jesse Glick January 23, 2018

Confluence already does this, so why could JIRA not do the same?

Like # people like this
Thomas Robertson July 19, 2018

Google docs allows multiple people to work on a document at a time and see changes keystroke by keystroke.  The fact that Jira requires me to reload the whole website every time I change something in a seperate tab has to be a solveable problem.

Like # people like this
Tom Wilson October 20, 2018

Please add this in.  We just migrated from Trello where this is standard practice and refreshing a page to see changes while working with a remote team is a huge step backwards from using Trello.  

Like # people like this
Kelly Clowers February 13, 2019

Agreed, would be nice to see it auto refresh or at least notify you it needs refreshed like confluence does.

Like # people like this
lee_conlin June 9, 2020

Er, how do you expect a client browser to know when information has been updated on a server?

Websockets / SignalR ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2020

Which you didn't have in 2012

lee_conlin June 9, 2020

However, we're now in 2020 and do have it, and have had it for some time. 

Every other project management solution I've worked with over the last 5 years has had the ability to automatically update based on other users changes to enable fast and effective collaboration. The fact that this feature is still not part of Jira is ridiculous.

Like # people like this
lee_conlin June 9, 2020

Also worth pointing out that although web sockets weren't a thing in 2012, other options to achieve a similar feature were - long-polling, etc.

Like Kelly Clowers likes this
Rudolph De Carvalho April 8, 2021

Guys its 2021, this shouldnt be an issue and we shouldnt have to refresh a page to see latest updates, so many other systems do this, I just moved from spiceworks that did it, having to rely on employees to refresh or remember to refresh to see the latest updates shouldnt happen

travis_jones January 19, 2022

After using Trello for years and recently migrating to Jira, it feels like a step backwards. This feature is very much needed.

Suggest an answer