Auto move issues between boards

Dean van Rooyen March 16, 2018

Hello,

We currently have different projects which consist of:

A UI/UX board with a workflow and a Development board with a workflow and then a Testing board with a workflow.

Is there a way to auto-move a completed issue on the UI/UX board to the Development's to-do column ? 

Each team has a different workflow but are dependant on each-others tasks. The goal would be to track 1 issue through all the teams boards until completion.

Any suggestions? 

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2018

Issues do not "move between boards".  A board is a view of a selection of issues, not a container for them.  Also, boards do not have a workflow, the workflow is selected by project and issue type, and a board shows those workflows.

I do understand what you're trying to do though, and it is not hard.

First, forget "board has workflow".  Your issues need to go through a process.  Design that process to cover the whole lifecycle of an issue, not team dependent parts of it.

So, let's say you end up with a workflow like:

Open -> in UX -> Ready for dev -> In dev -> Ready to test -> In test -> Done

Now you look at boards.  Boards should be built for the teams who are going to use them.  You've got three teams, so I would keep the three boards you've defined, and for this example, I would actually use a very simple filter that's the same for all three, something like "project = xyz"

I would keep the columns on each board similar - let's say to-do, in-progress and done, but with different status maps.

• For the UX team:  to-do = open, in progress = in UX, done = ready for dev
  • For the dev team:  to-do = ready for dev, in progress = in dev, done = ready to test
  • For the test team:  to-do = ready to test, in progress = in test, done = done

I would also have a fourth board with all the status on it, so you can get an overview of everything.

Guru Pandit July 18, 2019

Nic, i have been reading a lot of answers from you, where you have tried to solve similar issues. Thank you for helping the community.

However, the challenge i have is that not all the issues will follow the same process of dev.

For example in my situation, the requirements may either go to development team(s) for build activity, or the data migration team, or the architecture team before it goes to build team for specific epics / user stories.

i am trying to resolve a situation where i have a Business Analysis team led by central PO, a Business Change team, an Architecture team, A Build team, an internal QA team and a Business UAT team

Its possible that a requirement may not need Architecture and Build, as its a business process change, and can be resolved using Training activities.

So, i was hoping to achieve an automated solution where the Business Analyst / PO can click a button once the issue is elaborated to say whats the next step, and which board this issue should get visible to. So, i am wondering how many different status have to be created, should there be one project, multiple projects, if one project - how would the workflow look like etc. etc.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2019

I can't tell you how to match your Jira to your processes because I don't know what your processes might be.  All I can really tell you is that you are trying to do the right thing - make Jira match your desired process.

On a couple of points though:

>where the Business Analyst / PO can click a button once the issue is elaborated to say whats the next step,

Build your workflow so that it allows you to go from one status to all the others it might need to jump to.  You might want to use conditions to prevent non-BA/PO people from using some of those transitions (ones that skip intermediate steps you imply in the question)

>and which board this issue should get visible to.

Again, boards do not contain issues, they show a selection based on a filter.  You don't "put things on a board", you change the data on them, and a board selects them if the data matches.  Look at the board filters and make sure your people understand the filters and how to get their boards to select their issues

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2018

If they were part of the same workflow, in a single project, it would be lot easier. You can have one status as the final status on board1 but the starting status on board2.

If you want to move the issue to be a different project with different workflow, you will need to find/write an add-on that has a workflow post function or automation rule to "move" the issue when it reaches a certain state.

Suggest an answer