Auto-generate summary (depending on issue type)

timhussein April 23, 2014

Hi,

I read some interesting posts about pre-populating the summary field. However, they all use Javascript and don't have the functionality that I would like to have, which is:

Imagine an issue type "Book request". The corresponding screen has fields such as "isbn" and "title". Now, I'd like to automatically set the summary to "Request: [title]". Other issue could have different (but also generated) summaries.

Now I wonder if that's possible in JIRA at all. Any help is greatly appreciated!

1 answer

1 vote
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2014

A non-javascript solution will be something like that:

Add a post-function on the "Create" transition of the workflow which will set the summary value based on the required fields. This will require the user to enter some summary and then the post function can either overwrite the summary or prefix it with Request:[title].

The drawback here is that the user will eventually not know that this will happen as without using javascript this can't be seen immediately on the screen.

Have you read about Behavious plugin ? I think that if you user Behaviours this will be the best option( yes it uses Javascript internally, but I'm not sure why this bothers you).

https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JBHV/JIRA+Behaviours+Plugin

Suggest an answer