Auto fill description field

Luvo June 15, 2016

Description Field:I need a template that will automatically get loaded in the description field, which will contain the following information whenever I create a JIRA issue for a certain issue type like bug

Version

Precondition

Reproduction Steps

Expected Results

Actual Results

Additional Information

Sample Testcase

3 answers

1 vote
Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2016

Please add this javascript into the description of the field 'description' in field configuration.

<script type="text/javascript">
var issuetype = document.getElementById("issuetype");
var description = document.getElementById("description");
if (issuetype.value = "bug") { 
description.value = "Version: \n Precondition: \n Reproduction Steps: \n Expected Results: \n Actual Results: \n Additional Information: \n Sample Testcase: \n" ; 
}
</script>
Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2016

Updated this comment.

0 votes
Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 15, 2016

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] Very true!! People will stop giving importance for filling the description field while creating the issue. 

@Luvo Though you can use it only if you are very sure of your purpose.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2016

I'd recommend that you don't.  Every system I've seen with defaulted text like this is littered with tens of thousands of identical (and hence useless) descriptions filled with just the default.

Suggest an answer