Auto fill Description field based on component selected.

Ashish Jain November 2, 2017

Is it possible to Auto fill the Description field with some data based on a Component that has been selected?

1 answer

1 vote
Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2017

Dear Ashish,

Yes. This can be quite easily configured with;

Automation for Jira

You can create an Automation rule which does the following;

When Issue is created, and component = ''Example'' then edit Issue Description ''Value''. Will be glad to make and send you an example.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

Ashish Jain November 2, 2017

That would be great, If I could get an example.

I believe you are talking about Project Automation. Correct me, if I am wrong.

Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2017

Dear Ashish,

Nopes, I am talking about the add-on; Automation for Jira by Code Barrel. This  Automation module is alot more powerful than the standard JIRA automation. With the standard JIRA Automation you can also look for Issues with certain Components... although you will not be able to edit fields such as description with it. You can do that with the Automation by Code Barrel;

I have created the below rule for you.

Screenshot from 2017-11-02 13-41-31.png

Hope this will help!

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy

Like Melissa Howe likes this
Ashish Jain November 3, 2017

I followed the example that you created for me, but was not able to achieve the desired results, am I missing something?Auto 1.pngAuto 2.png

Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2017

Dear Ashish,

Could you check the ''Automation Log'' when you create an issue? It should give you more insight into what exactly goes wrong. (For example, does your automation user have the correct permissions?)

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

Ashish Jain November 7, 2017

Auto 3.png

Ok, I just realized it is working but in a slightly different way than I wanted. I would like Description to popup automatically the moment the Component is selected. But right it populates only after we click on create. Changing the text entered in the field. Is it possible to make the text populate in the description the moment the Component field is selected. 

Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 7, 2017

Dear Ashish,

I understand. I am afraid that this is not possible for the Description Field, however.. based on your use case.. you could add additional Custom Fields which can store data themselves. What exactly do you wish to use this for, so we can think out a fitting solution.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

simon democko June 15, 2020

I believe what the user wanted to achieve is to prefill description based on selection of issue type in combobox before the issue itself is created. So during manual creation. This is what I want to achieve too. Probably not possible w/ automation as far as I understand, will need sth like one of the Easy Templates or Issue templates addons for Jira that are available at marketplace.

Suggest an answer