Auto add subtask assignees as watchers of parent issue?

Moriah Chandler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2014

When we create a subtask for any issue, we would like to automatically add the assignee of that subtask as a watcher on the parent issue. We have ScriptRunner, JJUPIN, etc installed but I can't find a specific post-function script for what we want.

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Alexandru_Iacob
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2014

Hi Moriah,

Try adding the following SIL script post-function on the create issue transition:

if(isNotNull(parent)) {

%parent%.watchers = addElementIfNotExist(%parent%.watchers, assignee);

}

Make sure that you put the SIL post-function last in the list of post-fuctions for the create issue transition, after the issue is created.

Kind Regards,

Alex

Alexandru Iacob February 13, 2014

Hi,

Did the provided SIL script helped you?

Moriah Chandler
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2014

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I am knee deep in transitioning a team but will definitely try this out over the weekend. Thank you for the quick response!

Alexandru_Iacob
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2014

Hi Moriah,

If the SIL script worked for you, please consider marking the answer as accepted.

Thanks,

Alex

Moriah Chandler
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2014

Sorry it took so long to try it. I actually couldn't get it to work. I copied your exact script, added it to the workflow and placed it last in the list of post-functions. (I also tried it in different positions on that list too.) The post function list includes:

Creates the issue originally.

— THEN
Fire a Issue Created event that can be processed by the listeners.
— THEN
Assign the issue to the lead developer.
— THEN
This will run the Add sub assignees as parent watchers SIL program
The file of your program is stored as: /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/silprograms/Addsubassigneesasparentwatchers_1.sil
Start your programs with code comments, this way it will show here (max 3 lines)
Alexandru Iacob February 26, 2014

Did you publish the workflow after adding the SIL post-function?

Is there any error in the log when creating a sub-task?

Moriah Chandler
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2014

Argh. I was making changes to a workflow that was not associated with the project. Sorry, it DOES work :)

Thank you for your patience!

Moriah Chandler
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2014

Yes, I published it. There were no log errors.

Matt Noe May 29, 2020

@Alexandru_Iacob  could the same script be modified to add watchers from multiple fields in the parent ticket to the watchers list in the sub-task? 

Our instance has a few fields (Project PM, Vendor PM, Developer PM, etc) that contain people that would like to be watchers on any sub-task creation.

I've already tried using the copy post function, but it overwrites the values, and only the last copy remains as watchers in the sub-task.

0 votes
Filipe February 26, 2014

Hi Moriah

I just added that postfunction to this plugin:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/pt.lt.lfcribeiro.jira.jqlLTFunctions

Thx,

0 votes
&(*&)#)_*#@@(*)(@*)(*@
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 12, 2014

There is no post-function to be found for such a specific action.

You have to write your own post-function as a "groovy" or "java plugin" [1].

best regards,

Marc

1 : since you are already using scriptrunner, i would go with a groovy script.

Suggest an answer