Auto-add comment when assigning issue?

I would like to know if it is possible to have JIRA add a comment when I assign an issue to someone?

We would like to keep the status "OPEN" and not transition into "IN PROGRESS" or similar. We would rather not have a plugin installed to achieve this.

Do anyone know if this is possible or have an solution to this?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 vote

This is not availible through the base functionality of JIRA. There is a plugin that Atlassian offers for free for called "JIRA Automation Plugin" that would provide exactly what you need.  https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.plugin.automation.jira-automation-plugin/server/overview

It's fairly easy to configure. I don't know who your admins are, but it really is pretty self explanatory once the add-on is installed. It works very similarly to the Service Desk automation rules, but it is availible for all of JIRA and its more powerful. 

Good luck, 

Kian 

Thank you for the answer! I will try to get our owners to install this plugin.

0 vote

Were you envisioning this being an automatic comment? One that doesn't require you to enter anything? 

Exactly, maybe I wasn't clear about that part. I would like it to be automatic without me having to type anything or press a button.

0 vote

Are you opposed to any plugins, or just those which require money? 

We could use plugins, but it would be a bit cumbersome to add them since we are not owning or administrating those parts of the JIRA software. We are a small part in a big organization with many Service Desks.
Is a plugin the only way to go?

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

691 views 6 13
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you