Auto-add comment to parent issue based on transition of subtask issue

Sam Torres February 26, 2013

Is there a way to auto add a comment to the parent issue based on the transition of a subtask issue?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 27, 2013

Hello,

It is possible to do so by using a post-function from a third-party plugin to run a scripted post-function to add the comment. These are the steps needed to use this:

1. Navigate to Administration » Plugins » Find new Plugins, search and install the Script Runner plugin.
  2. Create a <tt>.groovy</tt> file (script file) with the custom script for this transition. You can possibly customize the script mentioned here to use it for this purpose - you'll also need to look up the correct transition IDs so this will work and update the script.
  3. Add a new post-function in the transition you wish. Choose the Script Post-Function option, which will be added after you install the mentioned plugin.
  4. On the <cite>Script file path</cite> option, type the path to the script file (e.g.<tt>Subtasks.groovy</tt>) you've created in the previous steps.
  5. Publish the Workflow's draft and try to close a subtask's parent issue to see how it goes.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,
Matheus Fernandes

0 votes
David Griffin April 26, 2013

Hey matheus,

It something similar also possible for JIRA OnDemand users ?

We are looking forward to do the same - add a coment to the parent issue on sub-task resolve - but the "copy field value to parent issue" post funtion is not able to copy a comment so we started to look for a "workaround" but this is the only one I found so far - and installing scripts and adding files does not sound to mu ch of a solid answer for OnDemand users.

Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2013

I do not know if this is possible in OnDemand due to the restrictions in the platform as you mentioned. My suggestion would be to transform your comment here in a question here in Answers, so that anyone else would be able to see.

Jelly scripts could possibly do that I think, but again I'm not sure if it works in OnDemand.

Suggest an answer