Auto Transition: Reopen Issue Upon Comment - JIRA Toolkit

Amy Naksutti April 22, 2013

Good afternoon,

I need to find a way to reopen an issue upon response/comment once a ticket has been put in the 'Resolved' status. I have attempted to create an Auto Transition Listener with no success. I must not understand how to create an auto transition listener based off of the documentation that is out there. There isn't an example (screenshot) of how this is setup. We are currently using JIRA 5.2. If anyone can walk me through setting this up I would greatly appreciate it. Below are the following links I have read that did not help:

https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JTOOL/Auto+Transition+Listener

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/43716/reopening-issue-by-mail

I have contacted JIRA Support twice regarding this issue and only got "refer to these links" responses (TWICE from two different reps! :P), which in my case I need more of a hands on approach. I believe that the reason I am unable to get this to work is because some of my configurations may not be setup correctly.

Please help! Somebody!!! :D

3 answers

1 vote
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2013

Hi, please post your JRIA Toolkit auto transition config if you think you need help with it.

Can your workflow go from resolved to reopen? Please describe your workflow too.

Hi Harry! Here are my current settings:

I created a listener called Reopen Issue (com.atlassian.jira.toolkit.listener.AustoTransitionListener) with the following settings:

Action ID 3 (Reopen Issue): To: Reopened

Event ID 2 - Issue Updated

Only do when current user is the Reporter? true

Status 4 - Reopened

As for workflow, yes this is set to go from Closed to Reopened. It is set to 'Fire a Generic Event' that can be processed by the listeners.

The workflow is designed to go from:

Create > New > (In Progress or Closed) > [Closed > Reopened] > Closed

^ I want this transition to occur automatically upon comment or update by user.

Below are my Post Function Settings:

---------------------

Set issue status to the linked status of the destination workflow step.

— THEN
Add a comment to an issue if one is entered during a transition.
— THEN
Update change history for an issue and store the issue in the database.
— THEN
Re-index an issue to keep indexes in sync with the database.
— THEN
Fire a Generic Event event that can be processed by the listeners.
-------------------
What am I doing wrong? I am a n00b!
0 votes
HermannS May 29, 2013

I know you are asking for an auto-transition in JIRA Toolkit but has anyone of you tried Script-Runner Plugin (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner) for this?

I am using it for almost exactly your problemt: I auto-transition issues that are in (a custom) status "Waiting for User" to "In Progress" as soon as the reporter updates or comments on the issue and I am using the builitin listener-script "Fast-track transition an issue" configured to listen do "Updated" and "Commented" evnens and with a simple condition

issue.getStatusObject().getName() == "Waiting for User" && currentUser == issue.reporter

This works perfectly for me.

Greetings

Hermann

Jess Yap December 4, 2014

It works for me! thanks very much

Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2015

Hi Hermann, Do you use a Built in Script or doe you add this script in the Script Console?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2013

I'm not sure it's worth an "example". The documentation for the Auto Transistion Listener follows the simple screen layout for adding a listener - you're offered a batch of fields and you need to fill them in. A screenshot would show a list of fields with numbers and strings in them that would work for whoever took the screenshot and tell you precisely nothing about how to do it in your system.

As Harry says, could you tell us what you've configured? The workflow and the data in the fields on the listener config screen?

You would be surprised how effective an example could be for me. I am a visual learner. The documentation doesn't match up formatting wise on the following screen:

Administration > Advanced > Listeners > Edit Listener: Reopen Issue

The screenshots on this screen show a more detailed list rather than tables. The documentation does not provide the format in which the data must be entered into the field. The Event ID I would have chosen is not shown in this screen. (I was assuming I should enter 6 - Commented or 6 - Issue Commented but nothing clearly identifies what should be entered. I did try both formats and was unsuccessful in getting it to work. I wish the selection were a drop menu rather than a free form field. The settings I provided Harry above are settings that I defaulted to since I was unsure of the formatting. Also, I did re-index. :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2013

I would be very surprised. Put X in field Y is pretty clear to me, and I'm a very visual person myself.

Anyway. The documentation says "put in the ID" several times. Not the descriptive strings, just the ID. I.e. "6", not "6 -commented"

Amy Naksutti April 23, 2013

I have tried that as well. The reason I was entering it this way is because this is how the support rep told me to enter it. I was also informed that they do not support the JIRA Toolkit which is why I am reaching out to the Atlassian community for additional information. Forgive me for saying this but I do not see how you are trying to help. I am glad you understand the documentation. As I have said earlier, I believe that this could also have to do with my configuration settings. I'm not looking for a battle of the forums. Simply asking for help, not critisism.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 23, 2013

I am sorry

That posting seemed terse, I really did not mean to imply any criticism, but I see how I did, and I owe you an apology for that.

I've had the listener work fine when using plain numeric IDs, but I do not know if that has changed since I configured it (Jira 3.12 I think it was, but they're no longer a client so I can't nip in and check, and they've upgraded). I was pretty sure that was worth a try for you.

Now, I can see most of your config in your earlier posting, and I think it's worth going back over it to be 100% sure what you've done and how you're testing it. I *think* I might have spotted it...

• Your transition in the workflow looks fine, but can you check that the transition "Closed to Reopened" really does have an ID of "3", and that's what you've got for "Action ID".
  • You've mentioned reopen on comment and updated - let's stick to "issue commented", "Event ID" of 6 (Mostly because it's easy to comment for testing purposes)
  • Finally, the "status ID". In your config, you've put "reopened", but later you've said you want to go from "closed to reopened" when someone comments, and I think you want to put "closed" in there
  • (the rest of it should be fine, the flag about reporter and the projects, I can't imagine they'd be wrong)

Amy Naksutti April 23, 2013

Apology accepted. I too apologize for the misunderstanding.

I will test this now. I also just realized that I do not have my notification scheme configured. That probably has a lot to do with why I can't get this to work. How can someone update a ticket if they never receive notification that it has been updated in the first place?

JT
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2013

Amy,

DId you ever get this working? I have been going in circles trying to get it to work.

Amy Naksutti May 29, 2013

Hi Jeanne -

Unfortunately I did not. We ended up seeking a consultant to configure this. We are still pending signed agreements so implementation has yet to commence. All I know is that this will be configured using the JEMH plugin. I hope this information leads you in the right direction. I certainly know where you are coming from. I will try to post my findings once work has completed. Best of luck to you.

-Amy

Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2014

Hello,

And how about a year later? ;-) Does this work for you now? I want the same thing and trying to configure the Listener.

Hope to hear from you!

Roland Pfuhl June 25, 2020

For anyone coming here 2020, I had the problem to get this to work. Thing is: the workflow must have the "reopen" step defined from Closed to New (or Open or what you call it). You can not use Create Issue. This is the action I set and then it worked nicely.

Suggest an answer