Auto Assign to a user based on the Reporters Group/Role.

Chris Rose January 29, 2013

Hi there,

Is it possible to auto assign an issue after creation, as a post function to another user, based on the User Group or Role of the reporter?

For example, if Tester A creates an issue, can it automatically be assigned to Project Lead A. And if Tester B and C create an issue, can it be assigned to Project Lead B?

5 answers

2 votes
Doug Bass January 31, 2013

A groovy script or a plugin would be required to do this.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2013
0 votes
Alex Baru May 28, 2013

Chris, if you were able to figure out how to assign issues based on reporter's group membership, could you share?

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2013

Yeah, it's not a very convenient way of doing it, sorry, haha. Hope someone else can come up with a nice clean solution for you (like I said before, probably some kind of coding you could do with groovy)! :)

0 votes
Chris Rose January 30, 2013

Hi Nat,

Your idea is actually very good and in theory does work if your only on One Project at a time. Sadly, it's not that practical across multiple projects. Thanks for the effort though, it was a strong suggestion.

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2013

I'm not going to post this as an answer as I'm not sure it would work - but maybe the JIRA Misc Workflow Extentions plugin would do the trick? There's a post function "Set field value from User Property value - you could set up a property like "associated developer" or something, and enter the values to the tester accounts (so tester A would have Project Lead A as the value of that property).

I'm not sure, though, if it will treat the value of the field as an actual user or if it will just try to copy the value as plain text when it is put into the Assignee field. It could also mean a lot of set up time if you have a lot of users to set the property value for...I'm sure someone else will answer with some nice code but if not, this *might* be a possible way to do it.

Suggest an answer