Attention JIRA SMEs Can you answer these 4.1.2 questions?

Elijah July 13, 2015

Had to nest questions because I don't have enough points to post more on the forum in a day.

We are attempting to get access permissions to the Postgresql logs but for now we only have limited information.

EXECUTE <unnamed> = DELETE FROM PUBLIC.MEMBERSHIPBASE WHERE USER_NAME=$1 AND GROUP=$2

The above will execute in a days time 36 million times. We have only a few hundred users.

Part of the issue we have is that the following call is running all the time and we do not know...

1. What triggers the call?
  2. Why is it being called?
  3. What is JIRA trying to do?
  4. What files is it trying to set?
  5. What database tables is it trying to alter aside from what is in the call?

===============================================================

Attention JIRA SMEs Can you answer this 4.1.2 limited access question?

Users are able to post to the application via direct web service calls.

Users are not able to post to the application via the GUI. The GUI just hangs until it errors out and there is nothing in the logs to give us a clue as to why. Logging is set to FINE.

There have been no modifications to the application. The database provider informed us that they implemented a patch from 9.2.11 to  9.2.13 on Postgresql.

Are there any tools that JIRA has that can assist with tracking this down?

Due to restriction in posting I cannot add new comments only edit this one.

Will look into the Jelly thing to see what I can find in our codebase.

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] Yes you are correct. We do have an external database. We have put in a request to obtain a full copy of the VM so we can duplicate in our test environment what is on production. They have given us only a dump of the db but that does us little good.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Darren Pegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2015

Looks like it's trying to delete a user and a group though together which I'm sure you can only do one or the other. Unless there is a jelly script sat on a listener? Can you see if the user/group it's trying to remove exist?  I'm guessing you have blanked them out from the ubove description.  Maybe create them so it can delete them and maybe it will realise it's performed it's task and stop.. I'd check the release notes on the next version up and see if the fault was fixed.

Elijah July 14, 2015

I'm still looking into code but cannot find anything that is attempting to execute that statement.

Darren Pegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2015

Have you checked the list of services in JIRA? Is there any logs that have created at the time it tries to delete?

Elijah July 14, 2015

Ready to throw in the towel on this. I have no access to production. I'm not allowed to: view the site. view logs in real time, see the network traffic but I'm suppose to ask for things that I don't know what to ask for. Stuck under a rock in a tar pit is what I am.

Darren Pegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2015

If you can't access the stuff you need to fix it then we are definitely stuck... Seems a bit backwards to ask you to fix something! :-/

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2015

You're in a bad place - just tell them that you cannot possibly support an application that you do not have *full* access to. Not write, but you need the logs, real time, you need the network traffic, you need to be able to look around ALL of it. One simple way out of this though - raise the request with IT for a FULL working clone of the current systems. If they refuse, then the answer back really is "then YOU need to fix the issues with YOUR system that I cannot touch"

Elijah July 16, 2015

They finally gave our SA rights to view realtime logs and we were able to identify where in the code things had gone awry. A limit was set for the number of users allowed to be in cache for the User Browser. The number of users had been increased and exceeded that number which ended up in items being dropped from the cache and then required to put them back in but the cache could never hold all the users. PAINFUL situations. You guys have been helpful and appreciate that you took the time to try and assist. We are pushing hard for them to rebuild the system on a new version of JIRA but I keep telling them it's only worth doing if they require that the winning contractor provides the developers with the training to build it properly and not bastardize the source code. This item is CLOSED.

Elijah July 16, 2015

item is closed

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2015

Mark one of the answers correct to "close" it.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2015

My guess is that you have an external user database (and there's something odd with the config of that)

My other guesses are what Darren said.

Suggest an answer