Attachments names have changed in the data/attachments/ directory

LLE August 7, 2014

Hello,
Any attachements of an issue has its name changed in the data/attachment/ directory.
For example, if an attachment is called "FILE20140807.doc", its name in the directory becomes "86383".

Do you have an idea of how to keep the original file name ?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2014

You don't. Jira needs to rename the files to enable it to reference them easily.

The general design in Jira is that you're expected to access files through Jira (which keeps the original file names), so the name of the file in Jira's attachement area is irrelevant to the users.

LLE August 7, 2014

In fact we use an external application that picks up attachments such as "*.sql" so as to automatize their running, and it cannot work if the extension is lacking.

At least, if I take the example beyond, we need the file to be named "86383_FILE20140807.doc", as it was the case in JIRA V3.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2014

Well, your choices are now

1. Rewrite the attachments handling part of Jira (seriously not recommended because you won't be supported and you'll have to re-test and re-do the development on every upgrade. And it's not a minor tweak)

2. Get your external application to read Jira over REST to get the SQL files

3. Integrate the external application more tightly by writing a plugin that can do the work instead of relying on externals

LLE August 7, 2014

Thanks, we don't upgrade often, it is our first upgrade in 6 years.

Anyway, do you know where we can find the attachments handling part of JIRA ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 7, 2014

I'm afraid I know little more than "download the source code and look for the .java files by hand", because I avoid messing with the core of Jira as much as I possibly can.

Suggest an answer