Attachments in Jira a issue - how do I open an outlook attachment?

Laura Richards June 19, 2014

I have configured Jira so that emails sent to a particular mailbox are automatically logged into Jira as an issue. All attachments are transferring across into the issue however email attachments (.msg) have th efile extention removed and cannot be opened. I've tried saving the file down to my desktop oand adding a file extention of .msg, .jpeg, png but none of these options work.

Please advise how I open an outlook email attachment that has been attached to a Jira issue.

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 19, 2014

Hi Laura

According to http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17834120/jira-incoming-email-handler-converts-msg-attachments-to-eml-with-no-extension, you may perform the following steps:

1. Download the file,
  2. Rename it to a .eml,
  3. Open it with Outlook via Windows Explorer.
Laura Richards June 19, 2014

Thank you Daryl. This gets around the problem just fine. The speedy response is much appreciated

darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 19, 2014

Glad to hear that is working fine for you, if that's the case perhaps you can accept and vote my answers so that it can help others in the future as well.

Will Budreau January 14, 2015

Thank you for a helpful workaround! Is there a way to re-configure JIRA so that it has the correct file type? I'm on a mac.

0 votes
shiri_naftali February 13, 2017

hi Laura

I am trying to figure out how to configure JIRA so that emails that are sent to a particular mailbox are automatically added into a Jira issue containing the same Jira issue number that is added to the subject of an email. I understood from your post that you have managed to do this. Can you explain to me how you did it? 

Suggest an answer