Attachments disappearing from Issues

Jan Congdon August 8, 2019

I attach a file to an open Issue.  The next day it is gone, simply disappeared.  This has happened multiple times over the past week or so. 

Has anyone else had this happen? 

Thanks,  Janet

13 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 9, 2019

Hi Janet,

I have not seen any other reports of this problem.  I think it would be best if we could create a support case about this problem and if you could then provide some details of the Jira issues/attachments in that support case.  Perhaps this can help our Cloud support team to troubleshoot this issue further.

You can create a support case by going to

1. https://support.atlassian.com/contact/
  2. Select Technical issue & bugs
  3. Select Jira
  4. Select Cloud,
  5. Enter your Cloud site URL.  Then complete the rest of that form.

This will ensure that your issue is reported to the proper Cloud support team that can better investigate this problem.

Regards,

Andy

2 votes
Jennifer Smith August 13, 2019

YES! I have experienced the same issue a few times.  

1 vote
Mark Klemm September 30, 2022

Same issue for us here. 

Two issues this week where the attachments are missing, one of which, that was probably the only copy of the attachment.

I followed the "Accepted Answer" to lodge a ticket and that doesn't work either.

I will put this does as just another reason why we actively recommend that companies don't use Atlassian products.

Erika Schuler October 20, 2022

I think I have come to the bottom of this. I can replicate the issue: 

• Create an internal note and add pictures - I often do that to prepare an maintain until I am happy with it, before I send it to the customer. 
  • The pictures save, no problem so far. 
  • Then I copy and paste the whole content, including the pictures into the external note, so I can send this to the customer. 
  • Send the note to the customer. 
  • The pictures are still saved - still ok. 
  • Now, I don't want the duplication as it clouds my list of notes, so I delete the previous internal note, containing the original pictures. 
  • When I refresh the screen after that, the pictures in the external note have now gone - disappeared, can't be found anymore. 

So, my work-around for this is, when I copy-paste to the external note, I re-do all the pictures/screenshots in the external note. 

Jira seems to only load a picture once and when re-used in a different note, will keep using that one picture. If you delete the originating note where the picture was loaded, the picture is deleted also, hence it is no longer present in the subsequent post. I guess Jira does this to save space and not having lots of duplicate pictures, to the detriment of the unsuspecting user :-(

Not sure if your issue is the same as mine was, but I hope, this helps. 

Like Vish Reddy _Revyz_ likes this
Vish Reddy _Revyz_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2022

Thank you @Erika Schuler very interesting find and work around!

1 vote
Jan Congdon October 2, 2019

The problem never occurred again for me, so it was hard to trouble shoot.

My best guess is that I didn't wait long enough for the file to upload before I added it to the ticket.  Suggestion:  when you first attach a file to a ticket, wait to be sure it has completely uploaded (a little check mark appears) before you actually insert the file.  

Hope this works for you as well. 

Janet

Jennifer Smith October 2, 2019

Yes, I do wait.  It's happened to me several times and to my colleagues.

I noticed that it happens more in the newer view vs the old view.

0 votes
Petya Naydenova Ferreira May 2, 2023

I experienced the same issue, several times.

Found out that when i delete the file locally from my computer, it gets automatically deleted from Jira as well.

0 votes
Erika Schuler October 20, 2022

@Miro 
I think I have come to the bottom of this. I can replicate the issue: 

Create an internal note and add pictures - I often do that to prepare an maintain until I am happy with it, before I send it to the customer. 

The pictures save, no problem so far. 

Then I copy and paste the whole content, including the pictures into the external note, so I can send this to the customer. 

Send the note to the customer. 

The pictures are still saved - still ok. 

Now, I don't want the duplication as it clouds my list of notes, so I delete the previous internal note, containing the original pictures. 

When I refresh the screen after that, the pictures in the external note have now gone - disappeared, can't be found anymore. 

So, my work-around for this is, when I copy-paste to the external note, I re-do all the pictures/screenshots in the external note. 

Jira seems to only load a picture once and when re-used in a different note, will keep using that one picture. If you delete the originating note where the picture was loaded, the picture is deleted also, hence it is no longer present in the subsequent post. I guess Jira does this to save space and not having lots of duplicate pictures, to the detriment of the unsuspecting user :-(

Hope, this helps. 

0 votes
Erika Schuler July 27, 2020

Yes, the same happens to me. We are on Cloud ServiceDesk Jira version and it happens infrequently. There is no rhyme nor reason. I wait until I am sure it has uploaded, then save and ensure it still there. Next day or so, it says Failed upload / Retry and simply has lost the attachment. When changing to the old view you can at least see the name of the file that you uploaded but it is not in the attachment list. On the same service request, later attachment stay - go figure. I have raised a service request with the Jira Helpdesk. Will see what they come back with. 

Kevon K Hayes July 14, 2021

Same to me yesterday: 2021.07.13. I uploaded a file and today it's not there. I'm using JIRA Cloud as well. The weird thing is I looked through the ticket history and it shows the file was actually linked with the standard JIRA attachment link syntax e.g. "[^ fileName.doc]", it's just that this morning the file vanished into the ether... I had to reupload it. I know you all had an outage yesterday with Bitbucket and I wonder did it also affect jira???

0 votes
Kristina Lemasson April 20, 2020

The same issue happened to me a few times in the past 2 weeks.

0 votes
George April 19, 2020

The same thing happened here in the last week. This is obviously an actual issue, no matter how infrequent. It can be problematic especially when we are relying on data to not be lost.

0 votes
Matthias Gruber March 23, 2020

Same on current server version!

David Chin March 25, 2020

Same here.  I thought I was delusional and telling people I found a bug and please take a look and they found nothing.  For me I saw the attachment.  I reload it the next day it's gone.  

Jennifer Smith March 25, 2020

I suggest taking video or screenshots every time you upload the attachment so you have proof it's occurring.  

Like Kristina Lemasson likes this
0 votes
Laimonas Vainoris November 11, 2019

Has anyone got to the bottom of why attachments are disappearing? Would appreciate if you could share the outcome of the investigations mentioned above.

0 votes
Miro October 2, 2019

Thank you for your replies. I was expecting something like that and won't open a ticket then. Gonna try to be patient and further investigate the issue on our own.

Have a nice day.

0 votes
Miro October 2, 2019

Hi

We witness similar issues. Did you find anything that could cause attachments to disappear?

Jennifer Smith October 2, 2019

No.  And I have opened two tickets and they just give me the run-around and tell me it's our problem inhouse and there's nothing they can do.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer