Attachment files suddenly became unavailable. What's causing this?

Hi there,

One of our customers is using very old version of JIRA.

They reported that suddenly attachment files (to JIRA issues) became unavilable from issue screen.

What is causing this problem? If anyone has a clue, please let us know.

Regards,

Daisuke Niwa

3 answers

1 accepted

Not much has changed in the way attachments are stored and configured in JIRA.

I can only think of these reasons

Attachments are switched off or JIRA does not have permissions to the filesystem where this is stored.

Check those conditions and see if something has gone wrong there.

If this is not a system wide issue and at project level check the project permissions.

Thank you for your comment. The thing is, only some of attachments are unavailable. Others are fine. Can a permission issue cause such problem?

You can control, who can delete and create but as long as you are able to view the issues you should be able to see the attachments.

are they able to see these issues?

Yes - check the Operating System permissions on the files (and, of course, the directories they are in). If the ownership or permissions on those have been changed, it could be that the changes have meant the user running Jira can't read them any more (by "user running Jira", I mean the user account the service is running as, not the humans logging into it)

Nic, Parthis,

Thank you for your respective response.

We will check with the customer whether this is the case actually.

Let me close the ticket for now.

Again, thank you for your assistance.

Regards,

Daisuke Niwa

Thomas Schlegel Community Champion May 24, 2012

Hi,

we had some problems with attachments having german "umlauts" in its name after a change of the OS Version. Just a hint, I don't know, if you have something like this in your environment.

Best regards

Thomas

Which Jira version is having this issue?

It's 3.11.

I know it's EOLed long time ago but this customer is unable to upgrade JIRA quickly.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in Jira

Join our webinar: How 1B+ feature flag events helped us build the new Jira

Every time you release software, there's a bit of risk – that there's a bug, that something breaks, or that the feature doesn't resonate with customers. Feature flagging helps make high stakes s...

101 views 0 1
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you