Attaching files to OnDemand jira doesn't work: 500 Server Error

Borys Borys July 5, 2012

I'm getting this error when trying to attach ANY file to jira:

Cannot attach file Screenshot from 2012-07-06 14:02:33.png: Unknown server error (500).

I'm on Ubuntu Linux, tried using Chrome and Firefox. In both cases it tries to upload, stalls and then throws an error.

- http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/3428/screenshotfrom201207061.png

- http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/3428/screenshotfrom201207061.png

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2012

Hmm, that's odd, as other people aren't complaining, which implies it's something on your side of the process.

I notice these are screenshot files with spaces and colons in their name. Could you try a simple attachment of a plain file with a name like "foo.txt"? Also, are you using the "attach screenshot" function in Jira or are these your own files and you're just using "attach file"?

Borys Borys July 6, 2012

Ha! That's right! Ubuntu names screenshots with spaces. It's these screenshot files that do not go through. A simple named file screen.png works. Definitely a jira issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2012

I'd say it's more an OS or Java thing than Jira specifically...

0 votes
Center for Teaching and Learning December 6, 2013

1 of our users is having this issue, and interestingly, it is ONLY for PDFs uploading tour OnDemand Jira instance, no matter which browser she uses. We tried changing PDF names to something very short/simple with no special characters which did not fix this, , and it's not size related (our max is 2 gig!).

She's working in OSX on a Mac laptop. Is this some kind of OSX issue?

We tried support.atlassian.com but got nowhere.

Anyone have any ideas??? thanks!

Dragan Vokic December 11, 2013

Same problem, same setup - let me know if you figure out the solution (btw. my colleague have also Mac (OSX) and he does not have any problems with attaching .pdf files)

0 votes
Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2012

Are you hosting your own instance or using OnDemand solution?

Suggest an answer