Attaching files to OnDemand jira doesn't work: 500 Server Error

I'm getting this error when trying to attach ANY file to jira:

Cannot attach file Screenshot from 2012-07-06 14:02:33.png: Unknown server error (500).

I'm on Ubuntu Linux, tried using Chrome and Firefox. In both cases it tries to upload, stalls and then throws an error.

- http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/3428/screenshotfrom201207061.png

- http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/3428/screenshotfrom201207061.png

3 answers

1 votes

Hmm, that's odd, as other people aren't complaining, which implies it's something on your side of the process.

I notice these are screenshot files with spaces and colons in their name. Could you try a simple attachment of a plain file with a name like "foo.txt"? Also, are you using the "attach screenshot" function in Jira or are these your own files and you're just using "attach file"?

Ha! That's right! Ubuntu names screenshots with spaces. It's these screenshot files that do not go through. A simple named file screen.png works. Definitely a jira issue.

I'd say it's more an OS or Java thing than Jira specifically...

Are you hosting your own instance or using OnDemand solution?

1 of our users is having this issue, and interestingly, it is ONLY for PDFs uploading tour OnDemand Jira instance, no matter which browser she uses. We tried changing PDF names to something very short/simple with no special characters which did not fix this, , and it's not size related (our max is 2 gig!).

She's working in OSX on a Mac laptop. Is this some kind of OSX issue?

We tried support.atlassian.com but got nowhere.

Anyone have any ideas??? thanks!

Same problem, same setup - let me know if you figure out the solution (btw. my colleague have also Mac (OSX) and he does not have any problems with attaching .pdf files)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,166 views 13 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot