Atlassian's Jira Permission Scheme

TJ Baker August 18, 2013

I'd like to mimic the permission scheme that Atlassian uses for their Jira issues, and would greatly apprediate some help with understanding how they've got it set up.

The end desire is to allow public access to read issues, only, excluding commit messages, commits, etc.

Any help is appreciated..... a walkthrough would be fantabulous!

Cheers,

tj

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 19, 2013

Hi Zaridan,

I'm suspecting that you are referring to jira.atlassian.com, right? Basically, to see an issue an user needs only the Browse Project permission, so you'd simply need to grant that permission to 'Anyone' (Group), which would make the issues in the projects using this permission visible by anyone (even users not logged in).

Just make sure 'Browse Project' is the only permission 'Anyone' have, and by doing so users that are not currently logged in won't be able to comment, edit the issue, etc. You can see more about this in our Managing Project Permissions docs.

If you have any other doubts, just let me know. :)

TJ Baker August 19, 2013

Hi Matheus,

Yes, that is the site I am referring to. Thank you very much for the (quick) help!

I'll let you know if anything further comes up.

Cheers,

tj

TJ Baker August 19, 2013

Aha, already got a followup for you :)

Is it possible to hide certain menu items from 'Anyone'? once allowing them to browse projects?

Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 19, 2013

What menu items you mean?

TJ Baker August 19, 2013

Things like the Dashboards link, and the Test Sessions link. Just links in general would be great to have Access Control over .. but those two in general to hide from 'Anyone'.

Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
August 19, 2013

From this menu there is no way to control what will show up. :(

However this should not present any problems to you as clicking on Test Sessions will prompt for login, and dashboards will take him to the System Dashboard (which you can define as you want).

TJ Baker August 19, 2013

Very good .. thanks Matheus, appeciate your help.

Cheers,

tj

TJ Baker August 21, 2013

Hello again,

I've found today that there seems to be some disconnect between Jira permissions and Greenhopper.

An anonymous user can move issues between columns, and also can see commits to Github, whereas they are not viewable when accessing the issue directly in Jira.

I tried to find some Greenhopper settings for this, but cannot even see Greenhopper settings anymore.

Suggest an answer