Atlassian cloud account for plugins

Chris Purser March 21, 2016

Hi,

I'm an admin for our server based JIRA install and we're using some plugins that only appear to have documentation on urls like softwareplant.atlassian.net for example.  In order to comment on those or get answers, it's saying I have to have an Atlassian Cloud account but that doesn't make sense to me since the plugin is the server version.  Also, I am unable to log into that Atlassian Cloud account with my Atlassian admin account (the one that purchased the software) and the only recourse seems to be, if I don't already have a "Cloud" account, is to contact myself (the admin).  I'm sorry if this seems amature, we are really new, and this is a pretty embarrassing problem to have.  We love documentation, so solving it might help us bother you all much less. smile

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Chris Purser March 21, 2016

Hi Nic,

Thanks for trying to answer my question.  I can be a little more specific.  I am using the server versions of the plugins and I'm clicking on the documentation links within the install that take me to their documentation pages at those cloud subdomains.  It's there I'm locked out since I don't have a cloud account.  Maybe the developer of the plugin has the incorrect links there and that's the trouble, but it's happened on more than one.

I did find an auxiliary way to reach them, (the one I need currently), so I'll ask them what the deal is with that and maybe there's another way to get docs.  Just seems strange to me, right? smile

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2016

Oh, I see, I misunderstood.  You're trying to follow the docs, but the vendor has required a login to get into their documentation site.  It's hosted on Cloud, so you need an account with their Cloud install to get in!

Most vendors set their documentation in Confluence to "anonymous read", so you wouldn't need a login!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2016

Atlassian basically has two options - you can install the software on your servers and run it yourself, or you can get an Atlassian Cloud account and they will run it for you.

The two systems have different options for add-ons.  Connect add-ons are for Cloud only, they cannot be installed on Server.  Equally, there are add-ons for Server that cannot be added to Cloud (technically, they can, but only Atlassian can install them, and they have a strictly limited list of what they will add to your Cloud installation for you).  Some add-ons have versions for Cloud and Server, but in the background, these are both totally different things. 

It sounds to me like you are looking at Cloud Connect add-ons, but you're running a Server version, so you can't use them.  It also sounds like you might be drifting into the Cloud versions of Server addons.

Suggest an answer