Atlassian Suite Infrastructure Reqs - Multiple Dev Teams

Pooven Pillay March 12, 2013

Hi

We are currently running the Atlassian Suite including Jira, Confluence, Bamboo, FishEye, Crucible and Sonar and have an enterprise license agreement for 500 users. Current user base is approximately 100 but growing rapidly as more teams come on board. Currently we are running on Ubuntu VMs but have encountered performance issues especially on Bamboo with slow\hanging builds. I need assistance with a (best practice) design for the infrastructure to support multiple dev teams using our exisitng licences. Would you be able to guide me in the right direction.

Thanks

Pooven

1 answer

0 votes
Adam Myatt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2013

The poor performance could be resultant of many reasons. To start with if you can provide tech specs for your Bamboo server and any Bamboo agents that would help (virtualization type (VMWare, AWS, etc), specific OS, JDK version, CPU, RAM, disks (NAS, SAN, local disk) and some data on your instance (number of projects, plans, is it standalone or reverse proxied through a server like Apache HTTPD, is the userbase locally maintained, from Jira, or Crowd, etc). Is Bamboo server running on a VM by itself or co-located with other Atlassian products? Does the VM have dedicated virtualized resources (Cpu, ram) or shared with the other VMs on the same physical host?

Pooven Pillay March 13, 2013

Virtualization type: VMWare

JDK: 1.6.0_31

CPU: 8

RAM: 8 GB

Disks: SAN

No of projects: 200+

No of plans: 200+

Standalone

User base maintained via Crowd

Bamboo VM is running on its own but the host infrastructure is shared with the other Atlassian products

The resources are shared with other VMs on the same physical host.

One observation is that the Disk I/O performance drops after a certain period of time depending on the utilization (no of builds run during the day).

Suggest an answer