Atlassian Stack on Amazon EC2 Windows Cloud

Srini Srini June 28, 2012

We are planning to run the following Atlassian Stack in EC2 Windows machine

1. Jira with Zephry, Greenhooper

2. Bamboo

3. Stash, Bitbucket, FishEye, Crucible and Clover

Do any one have previous experience running the following in EC2 cloud and if so any best practices?

Running all the above in a single OS - is it advisable

Does Atlassian provide any documentation on installation of the whole stack or I have to read the installation document for single applicaiton separetly?

-Srini

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tom Davies
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 30, 2012

Be prepared to use an instance with plenty of memory, and you will probably want to use elastic instances for your bamboo agents.

Here are some instructions for installing most of these applications -- not including Stash: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/ATLAS/Here+Be+Dragons

I'm not quite sure why you mention bitbucket above? -- Stash will provide your git hosting.

Srini Srini June 30, 2012

Thanks Tom - this is what I was looking for.

-Srini

0 votes
Ralph Tice January 8, 2013

I had to compile git from source to get a new enough version for Stash, and I've had to swap out the default OpenJDK on Amazon's EC2 instances for Oracle's JDK for Atlassian products to function.

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2012

Hi, is there a reason why you'd like to run Windows and not Linux? Windows requires more resources and isn't desired on something like EC2. We've been using EC2 and the performance can vary depending on how it's tuned. You'll have to be aware of the limited resources and tune the JVM accordingly.

If you need to run everything on one server, I'd suggest running it on a medium instance or above. Be sure to use EBS and not instance storage so you can snapshot and back it up easily. EBS optimized instances might give you more performance if you don't mind the extra cost. If you need more redundancy, I'd suggest going with RDS for the databases.

Due to the low CPU available in the small instances, you might have to do lots of tuning and configuration to get it to run smoothly.

Let us know if you need any specific help or anything else.

0 votes
David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 30, 2012

You may also consider Contegix hosting e.g.
http://www.contegix.com/landing/atlassianehsp/

Srini Srini June 30, 2012

David, we have decided on using EC2 and thanks for letting me know about Contegix hosting

Suggest an answer