Atlassian Stack on Amazon EC2 Windows Cloud

We are planning to run the following Atlassian Stack in EC2 Windows machine

1. Jira with Zephry, Greenhooper

2. Bamboo

3. Stash, Bitbucket, FishEye, Crucible and Clover

Do any one have previous experience running the following in EC2 cloud and if so any best practices?

Running all the above in a single OS - is it advisable

Does Atlassian provide any documentation on installation of the whole stack or I have to read the installation document for single applicaiton separetly?

-Srini

4 answers

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
0 votes
Tom Davies Atlassian Team Jun 30, 2012

Be prepared to use an instance with plenty of memory, and you will probably want to use elastic instances for your bamboo agents.

Here are some instructions for installing most of these applications -- not including Stash: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/ATLAS/Here+Be+Dragons

I'm not quite sure why you mention bitbucket above? -- Stash will provide your git hosting.

Thanks Tom - this is what I was looking for.

-Srini

0 votes
David Simpson Community Champion Jun 30, 2012

You may also consider Contegix hosting e.g.
http://www.contegix.com/landing/atlassianehsp/

David, we have decided on using EC2 and thanks for letting me know about Contegix hosting

Hi, is there a reason why you'd like to run Windows and not Linux? Windows requires more resources and isn't desired on something like EC2. We've been using EC2 and the performance can vary depending on how it's tuned. You'll have to be aware of the limited resources and tune the JVM accordingly.

If you need to run everything on one server, I'd suggest running it on a medium instance or above. Be sure to use EBS and not instance storage so you can snapshot and back it up easily. EBS optimized instances might give you more performance if you don't mind the extra cost. If you need more redundancy, I'd suggest going with RDS for the databases.

Due to the low CPU available in the small instances, you might have to do lots of tuning and configuration to get it to run smoothly.

Let us know if you need any specific help or anything else.

I had to compile git from source to get a new enough version for Stash, and I've had to swap out the default OpenJDK on Amazon's EC2 instances for Oracle's JDK for Atlassian products to function.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 18, 2018 in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

22,074 views 2 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you