Atlassian Connector 1.3.10 & VS2010: HTTP error "(417) expectation failed"

Dr. Tim dos Santos August 20, 2013

Hello,

I'm unable to add our JIRA server into the VS integration (Atlassian Connector, just downloaded) with the abovementioned error. I can reach JIRA without problems using the same address via the browser, and I double-checked my credentials.

The error details:

Failed to connect to server "GEBIT JIRA"

Der Remoteserver hat einen Fehler zurückgegeben: (417) Expectation Failed.<br><br>Url: http://jira.gebit-ms.de/rest/auth/1/session<br>Data: {"username":"xxxxxxxx","password":"xxxxxxxx"}

[...]

<h1>ERROR</h1> <h2>The requested URL could not be retrieved</h2> </div> <hr> <div id="content"> <p><b>Invalid Request</b> error was encountered while trying to process the request:</p> <blockquote id="data"> <pre>POST /rest/auth/1/session?os_username=xxxxxxxx&amp;os_password=xxxxxxxx HTTP/1.1
Content-Type: application/json
User-Agent: Atlassian-VS-Connector
Host: jira.gebit-ms.de
Content-Length: 47
Expect: 100-continue
Connection: Keep-Alive
</pre> </blockquote>

<p>Some possible problems are:</p> <ul> <li id="missing-method"><p>Missing or unknown request method.</p></li> <li id="missing-url"><p>Missing URL.</p></li> <li id="missing-protocol"><p>Missing HTTP Identifier (HTTP/1.0).</p></li> <li><p>Request is too large.</p></li> <li><p>Content-Length missing for POST or PUT requests.</p></li> <li><p>Illegal character in hostname; underscores are not allowed.</p></li> <li><p>HTTP/1.1 <q>Expect:</q> feature is being asked from an HTTP/1.0 software.</p>

[...]

System.Net.WebException

at Atlassian.plvs.api.jira.RestClient.jsonOp(String method, String tgtUrl, Object json, HttpStatusCode expectedCode)
at Atlassian.plvs.api.jira.RestClient.restLogin()
at Atlassian.plvs.api.jira.facade.RestJiraServerFacade.login(JiraServer server)
at Atlassian.plvs.api.jira.facade.SmartJiraServerFacade.<>c__DisplayClass2.<login>b__0(JiraServer param0)
at Atlassian.plvs.api.jira.facade.SmartJiraServerFacade.delegatedVoid(JiraServer server, DelegateVoid rest, DelegateVoid classic)
at Atlassian.plvs.api.jira.facade.SmartJiraServerFacade.login(JiraServer server)
at Atlassian.plvs.dialogs.jira.TestJiraConnection.testConnection()

What further information can I provide to enable you analyzing the issue?

Thanks, cheers,

Tim dos Santos

(by the way, I noticed that in the error details the username and password (!) are shown in plain text several times - you may want to change that asap! I removed my credentials in the above pasted snippet.)

2 answers

0 votes
Dr. Tim dos Santos August 27, 2013

I worked around the problem by specifying another URL pointing to the same JIRA instance; must've been a problem with our reverse proxy or something. Never mind the noise...

0 votes
Dr. Tim dos Santos August 20, 2013

twimc, I updated to the latest snapshot version of the connector, but the problem persists. I also tried to access the REST-url directly in my browser (on the same machine as VS2010), and it successfully returns JSON data. So there must be some problem in the connector itself.

Suggest an answer