Asterisks getting displayed for Create Screen in JIRA. How to make these asterisks available for other screens used during workflow transition

Jayashree Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2013

I have seen that asterisks is getting displayed for the create screen , for that matter even the edit screen by default(without using any plugin), which have mandatory fields. But why dont these asterisks get displayed for the screens during the workflow transitions? Is there a way to configure this default feature of jira to extend the feature of displaying asterisk for the screens used during the transition?

I have used the behavior plugin to achieve this and it worked but it displays the mandatory workflow validators in the web page format and not below the fields.

4 answers

1 vote
David Gordon February 16, 2017

Can somebody explain how to identify the required fields (red asterisk) when creating request via the Service Desk Portal.I am using   

JIRA 7.3.1
JIRA Service Desk 3.3.1

Justin Alex Paramanandan November 26, 2017

I have the same requirement as well.

1 vote
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2013

if you make field mandatory through field configuration then the asterick will displayed on all the screens for that issuetype.

i am not sure about how to do it through behavior plugin, some one may be assit on this!!

Jayashree Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2013

I have some fields which are optional in the beginning of a workflow and they become mandatory only when certain step in workflow is reached say for eg ready state in workflow. so these fields become optional in field configuration scheme. But when i add validators during the workflow transition then these fields become mandatory. So how can i handle asterisks now?

RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2013

you can do this by using javascript, try with this script by changing custom field id

<script type="text/javascript">
AJS.$("#customfield_11300").parent().children('label').append('<span class="aui-icon icon-required"></span>');
</script>

and check this blog

http://www.j-tricks.com/1/post/2012/09/silly-javascript-hacks-or-is-it.html

0 votes
codecentric AG June 15, 2016

I would recommend to use the Mandatory Field Validator of our Add-On "Workflow Essentials for JIRA". See: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/de.codecentric.jira.wes/server/overview

This plugin not only shows a customized error message but also displays the asterisk next to the mandatory field.

Best regards,

Joerg

0 votes
Raju KC
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2013

You need to add those fields in workflow screen or the screen used in workflow transition .

Refer: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+workflow+configuration

Suggest an answer