Associate an email address with a project?

Bennie Smith September 9, 2012

Ok, I have a user that has created a project, which has been in place for a while. He wants to be able to have an email address associated with the project. We found some documentation from the past about using a gmail address, such that when you go the Project, select the Wiki tab, and select Browse, there is a Mail option in there where these emails will show up.

Can somebody help me try to set that up?

I see down in one of the project administration configuration pages there is something called Notifications. I don't know how that might be related to having an email address asscoiated with the project. There is something in there about schemes and some jira@ourcompany.jira.com email adddress. Does Jira have it's own email system?

2 answers

0 votes
FélixE September 9, 2012

No worries :-) So from what I understood, you are using Atlassian OnDemand. Each Tab you see corresponds to a different application (ie: Issues is JIRA, Wiki is Confluence, etc...)

I'm not sure what you are looking to accomplish at this time, so I'll keep it general.

The SMTP server is responsible for sending out emails, not receiving. It comes with your OnDemand instance so you don't need to worry about it.

The Incoming Mail allows JIRA to "receive email" and transform it into issues. I believe your gmail accounts will work fine with OnDemand, altough I encourage you to test to confirm they still do. I would guess each gmail account will correspond to a different project.

As a new JIRA Administrator, I encourage you to go through the documentation or get training. Nothing too hard to learn, you just need to understand the concepts. JIRA is very flexible in its configuration, that's why it can be confusing for a new Admin.

Bennie Smith September 13, 2012

Thanks for the input. I'll be getting back around to this soon. So much to learn. So little time.

I'm trying to figure out using Sharepoint in the Office 365 Cloud also. And building a couple of new domain controllers. And working on a backup strategy. Fun fun...

0 votes
FélixE September 9, 2012

I believe you are talking about the "Mail Archiving" function of Confluence (wiki).

That feature is not available in Confluence OnDemand. (Click here for details)

Bennie Smith September 9, 2012

Actually I really don't know what I'm 'talking about' in Jira or Confluence terms yet. And I don't know the difference between Jira and Confluence. But it seems to me that the Jira part is older and the Confluence part is newer and it's all somehow associated with the OnDemand thing.

I looked at that link and I see this in there: "Atlassian OnDemand comes with an internal SMTP server configured to send notifications."

How is that used? Can you create an email address like project1@ourcompany.jira.com and somehow associate that to the users/developers on project1? Could that email account also receive email from an outside email address?

Also, I'm looking through our Jira system and I came across an Administration page that has an Issues tab and way down, about middle of the page on the left, there is a Mail option. Under that is Incoming Mail, Mail Queue, Send E-mail, and HipChat Configuration. Under Incoming Mail it looks like somone here in the past setup some gmail accounts for using with different projects. Are those gmail accounts no longer useable since we had to move to the OnDemand pricing thing?

Thanks... And sorry for my ignorance of this stuff. I started working here, they made me a Jira Administrator, and now I'm trying to figure it out. So far, it's like a big random pile of software that is hard to trace from one point to the other.

Suggest an answer