Assigning groups to new Jira/LDAP users who haven't logged in for the first time

Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2013

Background:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/136004/update-ldap-info-for-imported-users-who-haven-t-logged-in-yet

Along with imported users, I need to consider new users being allowed to access our Jira server. A user will need to request setup in our LDAP server. Once in LDAP(which can take several weeks to setup -- big company), the user can log in at any time for the first time and they will be assigned the "jira-users" group. This server has numerous groups defined depending on your job role: hardware designer, software developer, manager, tester, project-mgr, etc. I cannot assign these groups to the user until they have logged in for the first time. This makes for a very reactive rather than proactive setup process.

Some of you might want to suggest setting up the group definitions in LDAP but being in a large company, the wheels that update the LDAP information move too slowly.

In the background link above, it discusses converting a Jira backup XML file and then importing it. I'm wondering if I can generate just enough xml syntax to define a new userid from this LDAP server?

Any experience?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2013

With our corporate setup, I was able to configure the query as Microsoft Active Directory and defined users with unique groups. The queries are automatically and periodically synchronized. Once a user becomes part of a particular group then they show up in Jira. This is the best I can setup.

Suggest an answer