Assigning an issue to non-service desk agents?

Alex Wong June 9, 2015

Hi there,

I already bounded my project to Service Desk. For a user to be the assignee of any issue within my project, must the user be a Service Desk agent?

In a broader sense, for any user who isn't the Service Desk agent, in what extend he/she can do with the issues in a Service Desk project?

1 answer

0 votes
Paula Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 10, 2015

Hi Alex,

There are only 3 types of users available for Service Desk, please check the following:

• Customers: They don't need to be JIRA users and their account is not paid on Service Desk. These users can only submit requests. They can't access other issues without JIRA access unless they are added to the issue as a Participant.
  • Agents: They can work on requests and respond to customers. Each agent consumes both a JIRA and a JIRA Service Desk user licenses.
  • Collaborators: These users can collaborate with agents and can add internal comments on customer requests. Each agent consumes a JIRA user licenses.

So, you want an user to be able to assign an issue on a Service Desk project you must grant this user Agent access, if the user is not an agent then he'll only be able to add internal comments on the issue.
Thanks and regards,
Paula Silveira 
Deleted user January 28, 2016

Hi Paula,

I have a follow up question to this:

We are using Service desk with a few agents/supporters. these people are in direct contact with the customer. At time cases needs to be solved by our collaborators.

These users does not have any direct contact with the customers.

Here is the issue. at the moment I (as an agent) will tag a collaborator when I need them. This triggers an email notification to said collaborator. However in a busy day, they don't have a chance to read the many notification emails. He request an option to be assigned a case, when they are needed to help.

The don't know access to make publish comments. But being assigned would make it easier for them to see inside JIRA if they need to look at a case, rather than checking a bunch of notification emails for comments where they are tagged.

I hope you can help me out with a good way of doing this.

Best regards

Benjamin

Suggest an answer