Assigning agent when comment added to new ticket

Hari Vittal December 28, 2016

I can see that in Automations you can create a condition to say when new requests are created then assign to an individual staff or auto assign but I wanted to assign to the agent that is replying, rather than having to press 'Assign to me' after having just replied... is there any way to achieve this?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2016

I guess you are referring to a scenario where a customer comments on an issue and this comment would reassign the issue to the internal support agent.

A scenario like this would normally be handled through workflow transitions. If you ask the customer a question, you would normally also change the issue status to something like 'Waiting for Customer'. When the customer comments on the issue to answer the question, you would transition the issue back to a status like 'In progress' or 'Waiting for support'.

You have a specific automation rule for this: Transition on comment.

Assigning the issue can be done through post functions of your workflow. But if you handle this through status transitions, you don't even need to reassign. It is perfectly fine to keep the agent assigned to the issue while the status changes to 'Waiting for customer'. That way, he will receive a notification when the issue status changes again through the customer's comment.

Hari Vittal December 28, 2016

We don't assign an agent to a new issue by default, it's usually replied to by whoever gets to it first... atm, when a staff replies to a new issue it still remains unassigned... I tried updating the Automation to say:

image2016-12-28 12:18:37.png

i.e. when comment is added by an agent and issue was Waiting for customer then edit assignee to a hardcoded agent - and that works ok... it's just that I want the assignee to be relative to the agent replying to the ticket rather than a static assignee.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2016

That's exactly why your workflow might be a better option. If an agent does something with the ticket, it is a good idea to inform the customer of this fact, e.g by transitioning it from Open to In Progress. Within that transition, you could assign the issue to the CurrentUser(), which does this automatic assigning for you then.

A maybe more important side effect of this would be that your customer has a clear idea of the issue status.

H Vittal December 28, 2016

Thanks, I've added a post-function to assign to current user and that solves it... 

Like # people like this
Jose Giron February 6, 2019

Just seeing this and wanted to know if you can share that post function - Trying to create a automation rule so when a agent first comments to a ticket , it auto assigns it to that agent

Nikita Philippov March 4, 2020

Hello @Hari Vittal  please show your function and how you set up the process!

My problem: I'm not found this param "CurrentUser()"

thanks in advance!

Nikita Philippov March 4, 2020

@Hari Vittal 

@Jose Giron 

I figured it out. This field is located in the section "Workflow" -> Transactions -> Post functions -> add post functions -> Assign to current user.

Andy Repko May 14, 2020

@Nikita Philippov just curious if this only does it if the Assignee is empty or not. Trying to do this as well, but I don't want things being reassigned to another support user if they comment on another ticket.

1 vote
Vasundhara Guglani July 6, 2020

Is it possible that the status gets updated only when the comment is added by the assignee and no change if the comments are added by anybody else?

Suggest an answer