Assigning a default epic on issue creation

Gavin Carter December 5, 2014

Hi,

I'd like to assign newly created issues to the epic "Not Triaged" by default. I set up a post-function to try and do this. I used the "Update Issue Custom Field" post-function, I believe from JIRA Suite Utilities. The statement looks like this:

The Epic Link of the issue will be set to Not Triaged.

Yet when I look at my newly created issue, no Epic Link is applied. Am I not understanding how it works, or is there another step I need to do? The Epic definitely exists and I can drag the issue into it on the Agile board. But auto-assigning in a post-function seems to be escaping me.

2 answers

2 votes
David Puchosic March 1, 2016

I was able to do this using a Post-Function in the Workflow on Create side. I think you'll need JIRA Suite Utilities add-on for the function to update an Issues Custom Fields. Maybe Script Runner would work as well. You have to assign the Issue key and not the Name. "The Epic Link of the issue will be set to ATL-136

(JIRA 6.3.5 & Agile 6.7.x)

Rajat Sethi May 15, 2017

Thanks David! This works like a charm. 

(JIRA 7.2.8)

Like Fred Kendall likes this
laralg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2017

Hello David,

I have nearly the same problem and I think your solution can help me. I am creating an issue on the transition of an epic, and copying some custome fields, but I can not get the new issue to be assigned the Epic link of the Epic from it is creating the issue. Just normal links.

Any help?

1 vote
Amber December 7, 2014

Hi, I clearly have no clue what I am doing, in fact I have never been on this site until now, so I am far from a  master, but I wish I could help...I think you have the hang of it though!

Suggest an answer