Assigning Subtasks in bulk to JIRA issues?

Julie Day March 30, 2014

I'd like to assign a subtask to a group of issues. I looked at the Edit Issues function of the Bulk Action feature. However, subtasks aren't one of the options offered. Is there a way to assign a subtask in bulk or did I need to assign it to each issue separately?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2014

I might be misreading this question, but I think you're looking for the ability to bulk-change the parent issue of batches of subtasks?

If so, then I'm afraid bulk-edit does not support this at all, there's no way to mass-change the parent issues.

Julie Day March 30, 2014

Hi Nic, I'm looking to associate a child subtask in bulk to a group of (soon to be) parent issues. I need a whole set of issues to all be associated with the same subtask

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2014

Ah, I did misunderstand the question, sorry.

I'm afraid this is a non-starter as well. A child issue belongs to one single parent. You can't create a subtask with more than one parent (a parent can have many children though).

The best you can do is have the parent/child singleton link, and then use issue linking to link the child to the other issues you need it to relate to. You won't get any parent/child functionality out of that, but at least it will be visible. However, I'm afraid bulk-edit won't let you link en-masse either

0 votes
Mukund Iyer Rajamony May 20, 2020

Is there a way at all?
I've recently changed the workflow for new stories. The new workflow always creates a sub-task for new stories. And I want to create a sub-task for all old stories that are not closed, to conform to this mechanism.

Suggest an answer